I just upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I have tried to install the printer and my control panel shows that it has been installed and online. When I go to print a Word document, I can see that the print job is in the que, but the computer and the printer are not communicating. I have double checked all of the settings and even updated the driver, but I just can't seem to print anything. Everything gets stuck in teh que. Can any one assist with this issue???
It appears that the 'print job' is stuck in the queue. Please clear the 'print spool' to fix the issue. You may refer to the following steps:
- Switch to the 'desktop mode'
- Type 'cmd'; right click the link 'cmd' and click 'Run as an administrator' (Elevated command prompt appears)
- Type 'net stop spooler' (without quotations) to stop print spool service
- Type 'del /Q /F /S "%systemroot%\System32\Spool\Printers\*.*' (without quotation) to clear the spool folder
- Alternatively, you may delete contents of the C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers folder manually
- Type 'net start spooler' (without quotation) to start the print spool service again
- Restart the computer and check again
You may still experience issues with the functionality of Dell 964 in 'Windows 8' as it does not have 'Windows 8' compatible drivers. You may want to check the list of Dell printers, supported for 'Windows 8': http://dell.to/TwUzYz
Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.
No guarentee this will work, since this printer does not support Windows 8.
First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.
Disconnect the printer.
Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell 964 printer, uninstall.
Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal
Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).
Links to the drivers can be found at...
Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any virus program, then Windows Defender is the default. The instructions are similar to Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials
Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks
Welcome to Dell Community!
#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015