Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2012 16:00

When will Windows 8 Drivers be available for my Dell 948 All In One Printer?

This printer works flawlessly on my XP machines but will not connect to my new Windows 8 laptop. The W8 Laptop can not find the wireless printer to complete the install. Any word on when an updated driver will be available?

Thanks!

Don

565 Posts

December 4th, 2012 17:00

Hi Don,

As per the Windows 8 Compatibility with Dell Printers the 948w printer is incompatible. We can try to install the Window 7 drivers in compatibility mode and check if it works.

If the Operating System is 64-bit, click here to download and save the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit on the computer and then click here to install the file in compatibility mode.

If the Operating System is 32-bit, click here to download and save the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit on the computer and then click here to install the file in compatibility mode.

The step that needs to be followed after the driver for Windows 7 is downloaded on the computer:

1. Right Click the file name
  2. Left Clicked Properties.
  3. Clicked Compatibility tab, then checked the box for Run this program in compatibility mode and changed the Operating System to Windows 7.
  4. Click Apply and Ok.

Then install the program on the computer by following the on screen instructions.

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

Kindly let me know the results.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 20th, 2012 07:00

Mertine,

There are no Windows 8 drivers for this printer. You can try the procedure I outlined below, it may or may not work. If it works, please let me know.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any virus program, then Windows Defender will be the default virus program. Try the instructions for Microsoft Essentials, since the program is similar. Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Rick

2 Posts

December 4th, 2012 19:00

THANK YOU Madhur! - It worked great!

Because the file is SELF EXTRACTING I had to run Winzip to extract the files first and THEN run the compatability mode.

Just a note for others who may reead this.

Thanks again!

2 Posts

December 20th, 2012 02:00

I bought a new Dell Laptop with windows 8 pre installed.

I did all above. And started the setup.exe in compatibility modes (windows 7).

Still got the error "The Dell AIO Printer 948 driver is not installed. Please reinstall your printer driver".

This is the same error as without compatibilty modes (uninstalled printer, reboot etc).

What to do?. Dell please help, because otherwise i have to uninstall windows 8 or have to buy a new printer. Both are worst case options.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 12:00

It is not working. after install i still got the pop up message "The Dell AIO Printer 948 driver is not installed. Please reinstall your printer driver".

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 10:00

Mertine,

If the drivers in the Dell 948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7) didn't work in the Compatibility mode , then this printer is no longer supported in Windows 8.

Rick

1 Message

January 13th, 2013 12:00

64 bit download worked fine on my desktop with  windows 8 which is a relief! Many thanks:emotion-1:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 13:00

philipmorton,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thnaks for posting back.

Some members say using the Vista 64-bit drivers work and some don't. Can you share a little information? Did you install the drivers in the Compatibility mode? If yes, which compatibility did you use?

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

2 Posts

February 26th, 2013 19:00

Thank you for your advice! I just bought a Win 8 computer and couldn't get my Dell AIO 948 to connect. I dl'd the 64-bit dl for Win 7, installed it and it works fine!

2 Posts

February 26th, 2013 19:00

I just dl'd the driver, double clicked the file and it installed. Period. (after automatically unzipping that is).  Did not use Compatibility mode.  Thanks for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2013 03:00

79tarheel,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

December 13th, 2013 19:00

Hi Rick,

I had the same issue today. I have WIndows 8.1 x64, and haven't used this Dell 948 all in one some time (since I had Win7). I finally got ink for it and hooked it up and I too couldn't get any drivers to work including the Win7 x64. I did what you said to try for Mertine, and it worked for me. I ran it in compatibility Vista sp2!

Thanks for all your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2013 15:00

JTH221,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 22:00

Hey Rick,

Thanks so much for your insight into getting my Dell AIO 948 working on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I tried the 64-bit Vista download (run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode), and it was the ONLY solution that worked.  Everything else mentioned above failed. 

I bought this HP laptop with Windows 8 on it less than a year ago, but just today I installed the free 8.1 OS upgrade.  Prior to upgrading, the HP Compatibility Verification application upgraded my printer driver, so I assumed the printer would be compatible after the upgrade.  Not so!  The latest driver wasn't recognized ... neither was the printer.  It was only when I installed the Vista 64-bit driver (R166514)  that my Dell AIO 948 started being recognized and started printing again.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help us out.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2014 10:00

Mike,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!