Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 10:00

Why does my Dell V520 printer go offline?

I just bought a dell V520 wireless printer to use with my dell inspiron 15R laptop. I use a netgear wireless router and have had problems with the printer going offline and giving me communication failures ever since I bought it. My internet does not go offline just the printer. I have to restart either my computer or printer to get it to work and sometimes  have to uninstall then reinstall the printer before it will print. This is very annoying!   This happens even if I connect it into the usb port. How do I turn the printer back online when it goes offline without restarting it or my laptop? When im needing to print something I need to print it then, not take minutes or sometimes hours waiting for my printer to come back online. Calling tech support is a pain because they keep you on the phone for hours. I called once and all they did was take an hour to uninstall and reinstall my printer. I  have windows 7 on my laptop.  

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 20:00

Hi nickysduck2 ,

Technical devices can seem complex initially; once we master them it’s a cake walk. I will assist and guide you to get to resolution.

Installing the drivers in the prescribed manner and starting the services necessary for the scanning application could resolve the problem.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the printer drivers in prescribed manner.

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://revouninstallerpro.com/

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software. It is third party uninstaller software used to uninstall the drivers/programs from the computer.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them. Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

If the system has a antivirus/firewall software installed, please check with the firewall settings in the antivirus software and allow permissions for all the printer related programs in the firewall list.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for V525W and install the drivers in the computer.

If you do not have a cd use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-v525w-inkjet-printer

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1. Select the operating system of your computer from the list.
  2. Save the file to the desktop.
  3. Double-Click on the downloaded file.
  4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.
  7. Try to print and check.

Now to check the status of the printer in please follows these steps.

1. Click start.
  2. Select control panel.
  3. Select Devices and printers.
  4. You will find the printer V520 listed.
  5. Right click on the printer and select properties to check the status of the printer.

Please reply for further help.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2013 18:00

Mine is the exact same way.  I have had nothing but problems with this printer since I got it.  Constantly goes offline.  EXACT same problem.  Using same Dell Inspiron Laptop, and Netgear wireless router.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 21st, 2013 19:00

Hi Leigh639,

I can understand electronic devices can create confusion and frustration when they do not work the way they are designed for.

I would like to know if you have tried the above steps to fix the problem. If not, please try the steps provided by me in the above post.

Reply for any further help.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2013 13:00

Yes, I did try those, and Yes it worked perfectly, but come back a few days or a week later, and it is offline again... is there a permanent fix?  I thought I had it fixed but it fooled me.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2013 13:00

Leigh639,

Is the printer wired or using the wireless adapter? If using the wireless adapter, what color is the WiFi light on the printer?

Try these tweaks and restart your computer...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

1 Message

February 11th, 2013 01:00

It worked...thank you very much!

Ray

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 11th, 2013 03:00

Ray,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

February 13th, 2013 16:00

Wireless, the wifi light is a steady green.  i keep uninstalling and re installing and it continues to go offline.  I am trying your tweaks now.  I am about ready to trash this printer, and i have not made the last payment on it yet... lol.  will let you know if the above works or not.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2013 17:00

RockStar Rick   I tried your tweaking suggestions and it is printing again from now.   Will let you know if it goes "offline" again.   Thank you so much for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 13th, 2013 18:00

Leigh639,

Please check back and let me know in a week how it's working.

Rick

5 Posts

February 14th, 2013 16:00

Rick,   came home tonight and it is off line again......

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 14th, 2013 16:00

Leigh639,

What color is the wifi light on the printer?

Rick

April 7th, 2013 11:00

Look for the full manual. Find the section on static IP. I had the same problem. The quick guide does not give you all the steps for a wireless connection. You will have go into Advanced Settings where you can provide router information  and network  information.

April 13th, 2013 07:00

I have the same issue, except using this on Cisco enterprise network.  I have the printer, computers, and iDevices all connected to the same Wireless Network and it does this all the time.  I downgraded the firmware on the printer to the older version because the newest firmware had so many bugs that using the LCD display on the printer took at least 5 minutes to make a selection.

Not to also mention that I have the newest version of code on the Cisco Wireless Controller that also has the Bonjour Apple Gateway.  Not a happy camper.

April 14th, 2013 11:00

I had the same problem. Look for the full printer manual. Find the section on static IP. The quick guide does not give you all the steps for a wireless connection. You will have go into the printer Advanced Settings where you can provide router information  and network  information. You can do a google search for static IP address for printers. HP and Samsung have videos that demonstrate how to assign a static IP to a printer. I was unable to find a Dell video. 

No Events found!