Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2010 12:00

Windows 7 64 bit Studio XPS 16 Lexmark & HP Printers

I cannot get my system to load printer drivers. I had a Lexmark X4270 working and I did not use it or have it hooked up for a while, then when I went to use it I could not access the printer. I deleted it and reinstalled the drivers and went through the normal steps but it will not load the drivers successfully. I have a similar problem with a network printer, an HP Laserjet 5L. This one also worked a while back, now it cannot find it and when I try to load it says that the driver is missing but when I try to find a driver on HP's site it says that Windows 7 has the driver. I know I am probably missing something simple so any guidance would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2010 15:00

stmar,

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure all the printers are removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

You said you have Windows 7 installed, correct? 32-bit or 64-bit?

The Lexmark X4270 has ONLY 32-bit drivers from what I saw.

For the HP Laserjet 5L, go to HP's Website and download the XP drivers and install them in the Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

The trick is to try and find 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install them in the compatibility mode.

Rick

No Events found!