This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 04:00

Windows 7 and Wireless A948 Dell Printer

O.K. Lets see where I can start. Maybe my setup:

XPS M1730 Laptop

4GB Ram

Windows 7

640gb HD (2x320)

Dell A948 Printer (with wireless card installed)

I installed Windows 7 on a clean HD, installed what drivers I could find. Most of them Vista because Dell doesn't seem to have drivers for Win7 for my machine. I had to d/l the drivers for the video card from Nvideas website. But the laptop works at 99.999% efficiency and better than it did in Vista. But the printer is a different story. I did some research and d/l the Win7 drivers from Dell. Followed the directions to the letter to install it wirelessly. But it wouldn't communicate with the printer. (Yes I did type the WAP (WPA?) code correctly). Upon it failing, I d/l the clean remove file and removed the printer. Also deleted the DRIVERS>948 directory and d/l it again. (in-case the first file became corrupt) Followed the directions again, and still can't communicate with the printer. So I did the total uninstall again. (rebooting the laptop every time) This time I installed it using the USB method. It is the only way to get the printer to work. I know it works. Oh my WPA/WAP? code is my phone number, so I would never forget it and family members who come over, can hook their laptops via the wireless router. Because of the cost of the ink I will replace this one soon, but not until after the holidays. But in the meantime I would like to go back to printing wirelessly. And Idea's?

P.S. (I have not tried to install it wirelessly after the USB version.)

4.6K Posts

November 27th, 2009 09:00

Hi Rodney(?),

You're obviously not new to the scene, but can you confirm this is your printer, and that's where you downloaded the Windows 7 32bit/64bit drivers you tried from?

Have you tried updating the firmware on it, or do you have the latest firmware installed already?

And do you have the "patch" installed as well?  I don't know what it does - specifically, but it's "recommended"?

Hopefully Rick (PudgyOne) will see this thread, and reply with some helpful advice/suggestions for you to try?

BTW:  It's a WPA code :emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2009 11:00

Oditius,

My Dell 964 printer is on the list that says it's not compatible with Windows 7. I use the Compatibility mode, I used Vista SP2 and my printer installed on Windows 7. We had some issues recently with a Belking N not communication with a 3300 adapter, may or may not be related if you have a Belkin N router.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java 

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get the best communications between the printer and all the computers.(This printer can be used wirelessly if the printer has the wireless card)

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) untiul it prompts you to restart yopur computer. The patch mau or may not work for Windows 7 If not, then Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

808 Posts

November 28th, 2009 06:00

Wow, thanks for all the info, but if it would all seem to point to Vista. I have Windows 7 as my OS. And there are drivers for Windows 7 on Dell's website. I have downloaded the file to remove it completely from Windows 7, I also deleted any trace of the 948 printer, rebooted it and installed the Win7 drivers again. And it says can't commincate with printer. Now I ran the file to remove it again, deleted all traces of it and ran it again to run from the USB port. It works that way, but not wireless. It isn't a really big deal to me, but why have a wireless printer if you can't use its wireless feature. I am also a stickler for running the machine under normal conditions. In otherwords, if it isn't compatable for Win7, I am not going to use a work around. I do this to prevent me from forgetting how to fix it again if for some reason I have to format the drive and start again. I plan to buy a HP printer whose ink is a lot cheaper than Dells. For the price of dells series 7 black ink, I can get the HP 75xl & 74xl refilled at Walgeens. ($15 color/$10 Black) it the HP C4580 also prints wireless.

So thanks for the help.

808 Posts

November 28th, 2009 06:00

Nope, not new here, but it has been a long time since I have been back. They sure changed things around here. I kind of liked the old way better. :emotion-1: Yep, that is my printer, it worked fine wireless under Vista (32bit). And yes that is where I got the drivers for Win7 (32bit) from.

Not familiar with filmware. Nor am I sure what and how to update that. I checked with Linksys and the firmware for my router is the newest.

I see no "patch" file in the list.

I new it was one or the other, but off the top of my head I couldn't remember. Thanks.

808 Posts

December 20th, 2009 05:00

Just in case anyone reads this, I sold the Dell A948 Printer and bought the HP Photoshop C4580. When I installed it on my Win7 (64bit) XPS M1730 it seemed to work for a while, but after returning from sleep, it stopped working. I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech (if you can call it that) Support at HP. (And people complain about Dell Tech support, it is still better than HP)  After it was all done, my printer worked  wirelessly, but for that to happen, my laptop had to be hard wired to the router. Go figure, I reversed it all and went for a walk. WHen I returned I decided to look for an answer myself. I looked at the firewall, and saw that in the config that only one of the 2 boxes was checked. It only allowed wireless access to the router. Hmmm so I checked the other box that would allow access both ways and POOF!!!! I can now roam the house and outside, and surf the internet and print wirelessly.

No Events found!