Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2009 17:00

Windows 7 driver for dell 922 printer

I updated my pc with windows 7 and i like it alot.

For some reason i notice that using the windows vista 32 bit driver on windows 7 doesnt work on my pc?

I looked at a website i where i was searching and it said this printer isnt compatible

I am going to be upset if there is no driver. Does anyone else have this problem and have a solution?

Andrew

2.2K Posts

November 7th, 2009 21:00

You are correct that this printer is not Windows 7 compatible and that even the Vista drivers for it will not work on Windows 7. As you seem aware, Dell has specifically stated this printer is not Windows 7 compatible. Since that printer model is so old, I would not expect new drivers for it, but you never know....

Fortunately, printers are cheap.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2009 03:00

Andrew,

Just had one of these a day or so ago and the person got it to work on their HP computer.

Don't be discouraged by the list until you try this first. Yes Dell says it's not compatible but when Windows 7 came out, most people used Vista drivers that worked for the most part. Here are the instructions. Try using the patch first and you may have to Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restart your computer.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens..

Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, (needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

1 Message

November 15th, 2009 08:00

Hey,

This worked for me, thanks!

Now the only annoying thing is it leaves out information on PDFs. I print sheet music, for instance, and it will print the music but not the measure numbers... so there's something not reading right. But at least I can print now!

~ Dan

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 15th, 2009 08:00

Dan,

I tried to scan to a pdf the other day and my printer made it so huge, I could not email it. I actually found that I can scan to swriter(Open Office) and after the scan is complete, I can export it as a pdf and it a much nicer size to handle. I use Open Office as it's like Microsoft Word, but FREE!

Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Since you're scanning sheet music, If you cannot sucessfully scan the sheet music to one of the above, you couls save the page as an image, in case you wanted to print more copies of the music. I use IrfanView for all my images as I can control the page size for sending scanned documents, like our work schedule, when someone is on vacation. I lay my copy of my work schedule on the glass, then copy the whole schedule, resize it to smaller than 8 1/2 x 11 and then email it to them telling them it's subject to change. They can then print this at their convience.

Rick

4 Posts

November 21st, 2009 08:00

Dear Rick,

I tried the steps you explained to install my printer in Windows 7. I first ran the patch and then installed the Windows Vista 64-bit drivers for AOI 922. However, this doesn' t seem to work for me. The Dell All-In-One Center isn't installed. When I have a look into the control panel, the printer is added to the list of printers, but with a warning. From here I am able to scan, but not to print.

Do you have any idea what I can try to get my Dell AOI 922 printer working?

Thank you very much in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2009 10:00

Zjanne,

Don't be discouraged by the list until you try this first. Yes Dell says it's not compatible but when Windows 7 came out, most people used Vista drivers that worked for the most part. Here are the instructions. When installing the drivers, try using the Vista SP2 compatibility mode, described below.

Try using the patch first and you may have to Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restart your computer.

Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, (needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. It may or may not work. Also try...

Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Rick

4 Posts

November 28th, 2009 06:00

Dear Rick,

I tried it again but now by running the setup.exe file in Vista compatibility mode and as administrator. The result is however the same ...

Do you have any other idea what I can try to get the printer working?

Thank you very much in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 10:00

Zjanne,

Some people have had sucess turning off UAC to install the printer.

How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7

You'll need to disconnect the printer, run the patch and make sure all drivers are gone, then restart your computer before installing it.

Just a warning the 922 is on the list of not being Windows 7 compatible. Microsoft Windows 7 Compatability With Dell Printers - Dell

Rick

4 Posts

November 29th, 2009 05:00

Hey Rick,

I tried your suggestion, but it gives again the same result ...

I know that the dell aio 922 is not Windows 7 compatible, but I am a bit disappointed about that. In this way you have to buy a new printer every time you change to a new operating system ...

Best regards

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2009 07:00

Zjanne,

Had another member have it work for them. What type of virus protection, firewall, security suites are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2009 08:00

Zjanne,

Here are the threads that the people got their 922 printer to work with Windows 7.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19303257/19584827.aspx#19584827 

and

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19302961/19583712.aspx#19583712

Maybe there is something in those threads that is missing.

Rick

4 Posts

December 5th, 2009 12:00

Thanks Rick for all your help, but I am afraid I have to buy a new printer ...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 5th, 2009 12:00

2 Posts

December 12th, 2009 17:00

Zjanne,

Don't be discouraged by the list until you try this first. Yes Dell says it's not compatible but when Windows 7 came out, most people used Vista drivers that worked for the most part. Here are the instructions. When installing the drivers, try using the Vista SP2 compatibility mode, described below.

Try using the patch first and you may have to Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restart your computer.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. It may or may not work. Also try...

Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Scanning

Rick

Hi Rick,

your trick doesn't work for me. I had always a windows error installing printer driver. Even with a clean windows 7 installation without any trace of printer driver.

I'm going to explain you how I have installed the printer:

I've followed your trick, but I only was able to scan, I wasn't able to print. After a couple of installations without success I decided to connect to internet and install windows update drivers over the dell installation. And "voilà", dell 922 printer is now printing and scanning, but with windows update drivers.

So, maybe people who doesn't work your trick could try both tricks.

Hope my trick will help you.

Sorry for my bad English.

1 Message

January 1st, 2010 17:00

This worked 4 me afer I tried every other suggestion here.

Good luck.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaprinting/thread/e74b7546-c69d-419f-bebc-0e813cbf7087

No Events found!