Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

XP Driver Removal Utility

If your system was originally configured with Windows XP and is now running Vista, you may be experiencing various issues with your printer. Many of these problems stem from remnants of the XP driver. We have developed a removal tool for uninstalling all of the XP driver that seems to be causing these issues.

The utility is posted with available downloads for your printer on http://support.dell.com. The utility will be labeled "Dell - Patch/Upgrade."
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Gordollb65
1 Copper

Re: XP Driver Removal Utility

DellXPS210 / Windows Vista Home Premium / Dell A960 AIO Printer -- I want to thank you for finally solving the problem between Vista and the A960 software. However your instructions to use the original CD didn't work for me. When I used the utility then used the April download of the AIO software, I was able to print, scan and fax for the first time since using my old printer with the new system in March '07.
0 Kudos
mclose
1 Copper

Bill, my new computer comes with Vista Home Premium and I had problems printing with my Dell AIO A920.  The error is on Communication between the computer and printer.  I downloaded this patch you recommended but it uninstalled all my other softwares that are installed successfully and are running in XP- compatible in my Vista.  I re-installed my DELL printer but I had the same problem with printing.  The test page spools, then status turns OFFLINE and a message comes out about the Communication problem.  I had to restore my computer to the previous stage before the patch is installed. I'm still to solve this communication problem.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
raky
2 Iron

when you are using dell pc, is possible that was installed mcaffy soft on this pc.
when yes, try to make exception for printer in mcaffy and for aio.exe and printerwatcher
0 Kudos
mclose
1 Copper

Thank you for your response.  It's a Toshiba laptap but it has McAfee installed.
0 Kudos
Disrael
1 Copper

Bill,
HELP! My Dell printer  AIO A962 printer running under Vista 32 is printing very slowly. Each page takes about a minute to print. I have downloaded all of the patches and upgrades, but I continue to have the problem. Any suggestions??
0 Kudos
Rblandf344
1 Copper

I would be very cautious before using the utility on a Vista home machine.  I have a dell Inspiron 530 desktop and Dell AIO 966 printer that I could not get to communicate.  I tried the patch and it wiped my system.  I had tech support on for 9 hours trying to fix it, and ultimately they had to reformat my hard-drive.  Not a good "fix" in my opinion.
0 Kudos
docnor
1 Nickel

Thank you for this utility! My 962 would not communicate after my Vista install, and I tried everything to get around uninstalling Vista to uninstall the XP drivers. I used the utility, installed my drivers again, and viola! I can finally print!

Thank You Dell!
0 Kudos
BGar6661
1 Nickel

I cannot find this utility anywhere.
I am having the same problem, but with Windows XP machines.
Is this a driver issue or what?
0 Kudos
kapina
1 Nickel

I have given up on trying to use Dell equipment.  I will not buy another Dell.  I have ordered an HP printer as HP at least has user support.  I have owned several Dell machines, but looking at all the problems with the AIO 966 and the assistance provided by Dell has completely soured me on Dell.  My XPS 410 will be the last Dell in my home. 

My printer dies after each page prints or about halfway through a page.  I get a message to unplug the power cord and the USB connection and restart.  A 10 page document took 72 minutes to print.

Thanks, Dell.

0 Kudos