This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2012 14:00

cannot install Dell AIO 966 on my computer

I am running:

An E Machines Windows XP Home Edition

Version 2002 Service Pack 3

1.61GHZ; 1.75GB Ram

My problem:

I cannot get the printer to install on my computer. I have tried downloading the drivers from the Dell website multiple times, as well as running the patch to remove the printer before installing. Everything installs, but I get stuck on "updating your system" screen. I have waited hours and nothing happens. When I try to use the disk that came with the printer everything installs but when I try to open the AIO center I get a screen with vertical lines and color going through the lines. It does that for hours on end and nothing. I usually have to end task to get it to stop.

I know the printer is working as I have installed it on my laptop that is running windows 7. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm ready to give up.

Thanks for all your help!!!

113 Posts

August 31st, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using third party uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://bit.ly/PDR00V

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them.

Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”.

The services to be enabled are:

1. Human Interface Devices (HID).
  2. Printer Spooler.
  3. RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  4. RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  5. Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  6. Windows Installer.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://bit.ly/PT4kx1

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers. Ensure that the printer is powered on.

1. Please copy the link above and paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.
  2. Save the file to the desktop.
  3. Double-Click on the downloaded file.
  4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

Please let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

September 1st, 2012 00:00

I tried all the steps you listed and I still cannot get the printer to install. Anything else I can try?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2012 16:00

thardy33,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Download and run the patch(prin ter cleanup utility) until it prompts you t restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the XP Drivers. Install the drivers. You'll get a message, then rpinter is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

5 Posts

September 1st, 2012 23:00

Hi Rick!

Thank you for your help, but my printer still is not working. I have done everything you suggested as well as what Sudeep S suggested. I was able to successfully install the printer on my laptop that's running windows 7, but not on my desktop that's running XP.  I even went as far as disabling my firewall and deleting Norton off my computer until I could get the printer working, and still nothing. I honestly don't know what else to do, if there is even anything else I can do.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 05:00

thardy33,

Using the wireless adapter in the prnter?

Desktop plugged in to the wireless router?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

If wireless adapter, the type of security you're using and channel? Make and model would also be helpful.

Rick

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

The wireless adapter for my computer is a Netgear WG111v3 wireless G usb adapter.

Security is : WPA-PSK [TKIP] channel 6

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hi Rick,

I am not using a wireless adapter in the printer.

my desktop is connected to a Netgear wireless adapter

I deleted my virus program when I couldn't get the printer to install. I am using windows firewall.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 16:00

thardy33,

The wireless adapter would be easier. I use channel 11. That's the only difference.

You have to remove the virus program, not delete it. There is a procedure for each virus program.

Since I don't know all the machines and operating system invlved, try reading...

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Virus program and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!