Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2009 09:00

dell 926 printer

GOD IS WITH YOU!

I have a vista 64bit system that will not recognize the drivers for the 926.

Have downloaded new drivers, disconnected, uninstalled reinstalled, entered the dell folders, ad nauseum.  [have worked on this several days.]

Still am unable to get my system to accept the drivers.

Does this  mean that it is not going to happen????

If not, what printers are [from the box, no additional downloads] vista ready????????????

GOD'S ETERNAL LOVE - BLESSINGS,

selthomas

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2009 12:00

Sandra,

I know you only had the computer for a week. I had a issue with my new computer when I first got it about a month ago. I had to use the factory image to re-install the system and the problem went away. If you have any files and folders on the computer, I would suggest that you may backup copies.

I can give you a link on Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings, but maybe since the computer is new, you may want to contact the place of purchase for advice on installing your printer and see what they say. Like I said, my suspicions are that the USB Ports are not working correctly causing the printer not to communicate.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 13:00

selthomas,

Please follow these instructions carefully and the printer should install for you.

Before you proceed, it's recommended that you have all the Windows Updates, especially net framework(custom update) and the latest Java. You probably got a driver update from Microsoft and Microsoft has either given you the wrong driver and/or installed the driver incorrectly causing the communication error.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista Machnes) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). Please use a 5ft or smaller USB Cable.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

6 Posts

April 8th, 2009 15:00

GOD IS WITH YOU, Rick!

Have tried all  that you suggested with the same results:
When trying to print a test page, message = unable to communicate with printer.
When I check, message - no drivers installed.

And this was the driver that i had been trying to install.
Am beginning to think that there is no solution for the 926 and vista 64bit!!!!

Or is there something else?
No matter, God bless you for trying!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 17:00

selthomas,

Make and model of your computer and operating system, please.

Rick

6 Posts

April 8th, 2009 18:00

GOD IS WITH YOU Rick!

Dell xps 430, 64 bit.

Printer = dell 926

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 20:00

selthomas,

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

After you log back in wait about 1 minute and then shutdown the computer. Unplug the power cord from the wall. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Now plug the computer back in and power it on.

After you log in to an unrestricted account, you may see the new hardware wizard come up. I suspect there is an issue with one of the USB Ports.

Now install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft or smaller USB Cable. Try using another USB Port if the printer doesn't install.

Rick

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 09:00

Re: dell 926 printer
By PudgyOne in Printers

selthomas,

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. 

After you log back in wait about 1 minute and then shutdown the computer. Unplug the power cord from the wall. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Now plug the computer back in and power it on.

After you log in to an unrestricted account, you may see the new hardware wizard come up. I suspect there is an issue with one of the USB Ports.

Now install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft or smaller USB Cable. Try using another USB Port if the printer doesn't install.

Rick

GOD IS WITH YOU, Rick!

Did all this, including changing cord to a 4ft, disconnecting printer and computer from the wall, changed usb ports 2x.

The system still gives me the all-in-one center, I can copy, but printer drivers will not install.

Scanner shows in device manager, not computer.

I have used 2different sets of the downloaded drivers.

No joy!

Also tried installing installing 32bit drivers, but system wouldn't accept.

If the usb port weren't working, there would be no communication possible, right??

This is a totally new computer that I have had only one week.

GOD BLESS YOU for all your efforts on my behalf.

Sandra

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 15:00

GOD IS WITH YOU, Rick!

I got it from Dell, as with the printer.

Warranty on printer expired in Feb, so no printer support without $$$$$.

Computer tech support will only refer me for printer support.

God willing, when I can find a reasonably priced vista ready printer, I will replace the 926.

Bless you for investing so much time to my issue.  [ i have the link if I decide to restore.]

Sandra

6 Posts

April 13th, 2009 18:00

GOD IS WITH YOU, Rick!

Bless you.

Formatted my system over the weekend.

In addition, during printer setup, I set the install location inside the drivers folder, as opposed to the 

C: where it was trying to install.

Works perfectly!

Sandra

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 13th, 2009 19:00

Sandra,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks and may God bless you too,

Rick

No Events found!