Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2014 11:00

dell 946 aio center missing files

the page layout list that contains templates in my dell aio printer 946 all-in-one-center has gone missing.

this program has worked great forever and has done all i'll ever want from a printer program( except work in a full size window).

I have tried reinstalling ,i have all the original discs that came with the printer and made a big mess so i restored back.

where are these files? when i open the page layout the drop down menu is blank! everything else seems to work fine.

thank you in advance for any help.

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

Marty,

The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package. Was there changes to your system, recently?

Make and model of your computer and operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

March 19th, 2014 13:00

Rick

Thank you for your quick reply.I 'm using a Dell Inspiron e1705 with Vista Home premium 32 bit. The Windows firewall is on with aio center and Lexmark communications system and printer status window checked in firewall settings/exceptions.

I do tinker a lot but made no changes that i know of. I like to run ccleaner and revounistaller junk files cleaner and they have never trashed needed files before.

I have two dvds. I uninstalled all-in-lone printer 946 and reinstalled using the disc Dell All-In-One-Printer 946. I never uninstalled or ran the disc for Reinstalling Dell Portable Computer Software which contains Device drivers and dianostics and utilities...is this the one?

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2014 13:00

Marty,

Let's try reinstalling the printer using the instructions below.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.(Or you can use Revo Uninstaller.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers Install the drivers. You'll get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

March 19th, 2014 18:00

rick

Deleted print jobs,ran Patch(the printer cleanup utility), restarted computer. I'm not sure what to do with printer driver removal but disconnected printer USB cable and downloaded driver using Dell utility and it downloaded and ran my Audio drivers! So I reconnected the USB cable and windows automatically loaded all drivers.

The AIO icons were still on the desktop but no longer worked so I ran the AIO Center DVD again. The printer installed but now the Dell Picture Studio v3.0 is gone!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2014 07:00

mardito.ardito,

Options are use system restore and go before you ran the patch(printer cleanup utility. I have seen this remove more than the printer drivers.

Rick

March 21st, 2014 11:00

rick,

Excuse the short post last time. I appreciate and admire those who help with these minor life annoyances. Thank you. I don't know how Dell got such a bad name for help.

I went ahead and restored back to when everything worked except for the missing options in the dropdown list. By the way, The dropdown window does open, it's just blank!

I read somewhere that Dell no longer supports this software; reinstalling did not seem to work?

I will try your method one more time, I may have gotten lost somehhere.

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2014 12:00

Marty,

What do you mean by list?

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

March 21st, 2014 13:00

rick'

ok. I open the Dell All-In-One Center. Under Productivity Tools/Print...I select Print an album page with various photo sizes. A small window appears with a down facing arrow titled Page Layout". When I click on it,a dropdown menu appears which is blank. The list should include many different page layouts,e.g., Greeting cards, pages with various sizes which you can drag and drop various photos, add text. All the other tools seem to be ok, scan,copy,fax, image preview, show folders, saved images, I can still use Printing Preferences to change printer settings.

Thanks again.

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2014 15:00

Marty,

It's been a while since I had my Dell 964 Printer that used the Dell All-In-One Center.

Pictures I have are...

and picture 2 is...

In the second picture, click on the little item that says see more copy settings.

Rick

March 22nd, 2014 07:00

rick

I got that. On my AIO 946 however, Under Productivity tools; I have Print...,under Print the first option is "Print an album page with various photo sizes. When I click on it (after selecting a saved image) a dialog appears pointing to Page Layout options. Upon clicking the downward pointing arrow a blank drop down menu appears which used to contain a lot of layouts on which I could drag and drop images,add text make greeting cards, etc.

As soon as I can figure out how to attach an image to this I will. How did you do that?

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2014 14:00

Marty,

Did you have some greeting card software installed? I don't remember those options. If they were there, they may have been on the printer disk. I have seen some programs only on the factory image.

Rick

March 22nd, 2014 21:00

rick,

Yes greeting card software and much more was there. I need to try reinstalling from the original discs that came with the computer. I botched the previous attempt at following your instructions.

marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 19:00

Marty,

I have seen some small software come with the printer, usually found on the Dell Printer disk. I used the have Hallmark Software installed, like Create A Card and used to print my own personalized greeting cards. Some of that software will work with other programs.

Rick

No Events found!