Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2012 11:00

dell 946 printer problems

On Friday I tried to print something from the computer and it didn't print.   My Dell 946 printer just sent out blank pages.  I followed some of the advice here about uninstalling and reinstalling which I did a couple of times and it didn't work.  I could print from the scanner though so it wasn't the ink.  Then I tried opening the Dell All In One center and this is the message I got

Runtime Error

Program: C:\Program files\Dell AIO Printer 946\DCCIaiox.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the applications support team for more information.

I tried system restore as well.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 and am running windows Vista.  The printer has worked great for 5 years and I'm wondering if I'll have to get a new one.  Can anyone help me with this?  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

dbjoans,

Sounds like the drivers may have gotten corrupt.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper Vista drivers. Install the drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

11 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 03:00

Hi Rick

Thank you for getting back to me.  I am going to attempt to try re installing the 946 printer again even though I followed your instructions before and it seemed to make things worse.  I know it's my mistake because I'm not good with computers so I'm sure I did something wrong.  Before I start, should I turn off my Mcaffe security?  I don't know how to turn off the windows firewall.  Also should I be on or off line when I attempt this? I have a disk that came with my computer for drivers and the dell all in one but when I put it in the last time it didn't seem to do anything.  When you say in the 'install drivers' instructions to stop the disk how do I do that? Again I'm running windows Vista 32 bit on an inspiron 1721. 

Thank you again for your help.

DBJoans

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

DBJoans,

McAfee had connection issues about 2 weeks ago, Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

I wonder if something in McAfee also cause your printer problem.

Can you check system restore and see if you can go back before Auust 18th? If you can use system restore and go back to the first restore point before that date. Please note, if you see a blank screen for 5 minutes, it's normal when using system restore, so please don't panic.

The firewall settings for McAfee, Allow a printer past McAfee

Rick

11 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hi Rick

I can't go back in system restore.  The earliest date is 9/1/12 and I don't know how to get it any earlier.  My 946 printer isn't wireless I have to connect it with a wire.  I just wanted to know if I should turn off the Mcaffe security firewall before I attempt the uninstall.  Also should I be on or off line when I do this.  My other question is when should I put in the driver disk with the all in one center and how do I stop it to do what you suggested.  I hope this makes sense.  As I said I'm not good with computers.  Clearly.

Thank you

DBJoans

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

DBJoans,

You have a registered copy of McAfee, then use the McAfee Removal Tool to uninstall McAfee.

Restart your computer. Try everything and see if everything works. It works, then reinstall McAfee.

Rick

No Events found!