Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2012 12:00

dell printer v515w

I recently tried to connect this printer with the laptop, but it seemed that I cannot install the communication device into the laptop properly. At first, I used the USB function, and it showed that "communication not available". Then I use DELL distant assistance to repair my USB drivers, but now it still told me connection unavailable.

So please tell me how to repair it. Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2012 14:00

yangle24kobe,

Make and model of your computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit?

How are you trying to connect the printer to your computer?

Also which virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

March 22nd, 2012 16:00

I use windows 7, 64-bit. And I wanted to use wireless at first, but now I tried several times to use USB, and the consequence is the same. I just use a program to check for the security of the laptop.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2012 17:00

yangle24kobe,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected to the computer.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V515w Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

To use the wireless adapter in the printer,  recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

After the wireless router is setup, then...

With the computer online, insert the printer disk and install the printer. Choose new installation, then choose network and follow the instructions. It will prompt you to connect your printer and ask to find your network and ask your password. Just follow the instructions and the printer should connect to your network.

Also try these tweaks.

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

March 22nd, 2012 18:00

Could you please tell me the name of the wireless software?

March 22nd, 2012 19:00

yangle24kobe,

What do you mean by...

Could you please tell me the name of the wireless software?

If your printer is a V515w, it has a wireless adapter installed.

Do you have a wireless router?

Rick

March 23rd, 2012 10:00

No, I don't have one. So I want to start the wireless through this laptop.

March 23rd, 2012 12:00

I think I would use USB to install the printer. But it still tell me that the communication unavailable.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2012 12:00

yangle24kobe,

You can setup the printer using the Ad-Hoc Mode but you have to connect to iit each time to be able to print. If you have a wireless router, you can add the printer to your network and any computer that is on your network, with the drivers installed, the printer will print with no problems.

Rick

14 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 21:00

I have the same problem of computer not communicating with Printer.

I have tried your above solutions (uninstalling and attempted reinstalling of the printer drivers.)

However, this introduces a new problem - there is an error message from the reinstall and it does not successfully reinstall the driver.

It have tried both the original CD rom driver and have downloaded new driver from Dell.

It gives an error message "Failed to create print object Dellv510 series (network). The speicifed port is unknown. (1796).

Any solutions to this so I can complete your overall suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2012 13:00

micwat,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb connected.

I would first try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

After the router is corrected.

With the computer online, insert the Dell Printer disk. Do the agreement, then choose new installation. Choose network and follow the instructions. It will prompt you to connect the printer. It will ask for your network and the password.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 7th, 2012 22:00

micwat,

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

14 Posts

July 7th, 2012 22:00

Hi, Rick

I tried all that, followed it very carefully, but I still cannot print.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications." It does not seem to be telling me that it is blocking anything. So I'm not sure how to act on that piece of advice.

14 Posts

July 7th, 2012 23:00

McAffee Secure anti-virus and the firewall on that program

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 8th, 2012 04:00

micwat,

Try reading...

Allow a printer past McAfee

Rick

14 Posts

July 9th, 2012 04:00

have tried changing firewall setting to Work. still same problem.

Have tried turning firewall off totally, same problem.

each time I attempt to print it comes up with "error printing".

No Events found!