aj201102
1 Copper

doesn't print legibly in black although black catridge has been replaced, cleaned several times

hi,

i dont do much printing on my Dell all in one 946 printer, but when i print using the black cartridge it's faded and sometimes you can't see what has been printed. i have changed the black and colour cartridges of the printer several times although i know the ink levels are not low, and also cleaned the back of the ink cartridges to see if that would help, but it hasn't so far. if i need to print in black, now i'm compelled to print using my colour cartridge instead.

this seem to only happen when i print, since when i use the copy facility it seems to work okay.

i phoned up the expired warranty services a few minutes ago, and they told me that i need to replace my printer as there is something wrong with the printer! somehow since i havent used my printer much this doesn't seem like a good option to me. Is there anything I can do to find what's wrong with it and fix it?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: doesn't print legibly in black although black catridge has been replaced, cleaned several times

aj201102,

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
aj201102
1 Copper

Re: doesn't print legibly in black although black catridge has been replaced, cleaned several times

Thanks Rick, I have tried all of what you have mentioned. However it doesnt seem to have worked unfortunately.

I even checked the ink levels as well, and the ink levels are almost full. but somehow if I need to print in black and white, i have to use my colour cartidge. So it's just the black cartridge that doesnt print.

When i call the technical support, they told me that there was something wrong with the printer and all i can do was get rid of it. they didn't tell me exactly what's wrong or what part needs replacement either.

Since I dont use my printer on a daily basis, i didn't just want to spend tons of money buying another printer, because the A946 itself was quite expensive. So i  hope i could find how to fix it instead. any thoughts?

thanks for your help.

Cheers,

A.

0 Kudos

A,

The Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them. It also contains the printhead, so there are few parts. Try taking the Dell Series 5 ink cartridge back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos