Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 23:00

new Brother all-in-one will print but not scan

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Brother today uninstalling and installing my drivers several times and every time the scanner will not connect to the computer.

It's set up on a wireless system and I can print from my comptuer but when ever I push the scan button on the all-in-one it says Check Connection.  If I try to click on the scanner icon in Scanners and Cameras it says "the computer cannot detect the scanner or camera.  Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer."  If I right click on the icon and click on properties it says "the properties for this item are not available." 

I've uninstalled and installed the drivers about 7 times now and reset the printer to the factory settings and started over at least 3 or 4 times as well.  I went on to Brother's web site to download the latest versions of the drivers which didn't help either.

When I first got the printer I hooked it up with a chord and it did scann then but I've got a laptop comming in a couple weeks and I need this scanner to be able to work off the wiress network. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem???  Anyone have any suggestions before I just take this printer back?  I just don't understand how it can connect to print over the wireless system but can't seem to connect to scann.

Thanks for any help!  It's greatly appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 20th, 2009 03:00

I've seen a lot of posts about not being able to scan wirelessly.  The Peripheral section of the forum or OS sections may be the best place to post this as it's more a software issue.  Some of it is the scanner (or all in one) software, some can be the wireless interface device, some could be PC software or firewall, but mostly it's the vendor's software and in this case Brother.  If they can't figure out how to make it work, personally, I'd be looking at a different vendor. 

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2009 04:00

Do you have the MFC665CW brother all in one?...

6 Posts

January 20th, 2009 08:00

I recently had this problem with a HP C6380 and it was vendor software.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2009 09:00

I recently had this problem with a HP C6380 and it was vendor software.

Hp C6180 is another problem one.

Rick

3 Posts

dgkpcon it's the MFC-490CW.  I was going to put that in my original post but forgot.  Sorry.

3 Posts

Thanks for the help.  I've pretty much decided to take it back but figured I'd give it one last shot to try to make it work by asking on here. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dellbroke,

Suggestions are...

Make sure your computer has all the Windows Updates, especially .net framework(Custom Windows Update). Also make sure it has the latest Java.

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings(I use channel 11). If the printer still doesn't install, then sometimes a operating system repair is needed.

Make backup copies of any files and folders you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice anyway.

Insert the operating system disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair. Leave the disk in until you see the Welcome screen.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Get all the Windows Updates again. Remember the custom Windows Updates too and remember to install the latest Java.

Rick

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2009 16:00

dellbroke,

If you are reffering to the scanner that sets up for the printer (for copying ) no you are correct it does not work.My MFC-665CW has the same problem.The web site the scanner uses is blocked on browsers and will not open.I have not yet figured it out myself and i have had my Brother printer for almost 2 years now.It is set to ftp: in the browser and there is no configuration for this.

If this is not what you were reffering to but the scanner itself,open the control center for the brother printer,click to open the remote settings>click scanner>now go thru the list of how you want your pages set up,and the color,and type of paper used etc...Then hit apply or O.K. at the bottom of the page and the automatic settings will be locked in.Now if you need to scan a copy,place the copy in the scanner bed,push the scanner key on the printers panel,now go back to it on your laptop and click scan.The copy should come out fine.

1 Message

December 19th, 2017 14:00

I have the same problem

No Events found!