Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 9th, 2009 23:00

printer help please

I have a Photo 964 and haver had so much trouble w/ it since day one w/ the.dll file . I was told by 3 different DELL techs, while it was still under warrantee, that they are having trouble with this issue and to remain patient......  THAT was 3 yrs ago.. I have since  uninstalled and bought a Cannon for my printing  needs. I do like the scanning options that the 964 offers.Now that I have had to reinstall Windows for the 3rd time , the drivers are giving me a royal pain. I went to DELLs driver site....  downloaded the drivers... saved them to my desktop....  and when I open them to install..  the page opens.. and then closes..WHAT am I doing wrong here?? 

PS..  the disk that came with the printer...not helpful either

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2009 23:00

jeffmelissa2004,

Follow these instructions below and the printer should install for you. I hope the Dell Series 5 ink cartridges are good enough to get the printer installed.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially.net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Right click on the patch, left click run as administrator. Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft USB Cable or smaller. If the printer doesn't want to install, try using a different USB Port.

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 964 printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens. If this doesn't work, then please tell me the make and model of your computer and operating system.

Rick

No Events found!