Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2010 15:00

streaks in 962 printer, Dells says replace?

An elderly friend has a 962 printer that recently has developed two issues. Basically, the black text is spotty. When I run the utility to clean the heads, the printed page (horizontal bands of color), looks normal except the black bands look thin, like a very tall skinny bar code on its side with mostly white space, plus a faint vertical black streak about 2" from the left edge. When I called Dell they said it was not an ink problem (there is half a tank of black ink left), but rather an old printer with a roller problem and would cost more to fix than replace. I have no experience with Dell printers (I've had three desktops) so I thought I would ask for some other opinions before I tell her to replace the printer.

Thank you,

Andy

5 Posts

December 10th, 2010 20:00

thanks for the suggestions, but there is no error message, just the streak and blank areas I mentioned. I will find out if she's using refilled cartridges, that's a good point, although the  Dell rep insisted it wasn't an ink issue.

Andy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2010 20:00

Andy,

I would check to see if the printer has Dell Series 5 ink cartridges installed. Refilled is not really recommended and some generics work and some don't. If the printer is near an airy location, like near a door or heater/air vent, the cartridges can get dried out and cause problems.

Try copying a document under the glass. B&W and color, what happens?

Unplug the printer from the wall. Noe remove the power brick from the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error message the printer is getting. Plug the printer back in.

Turn on the printer. Open up the printer and take out the black cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the color cartridge. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page. Any error messages?

If you still get the error message, then it's possible that the sensor in the Dell Series 5 ink cartridge is bad. If this is a new Dell Series 5 ink cartridge, then take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement or refund.

black = black side(left)                               color = color side(right)

photo cartridge = black side(left               color = color side(right)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to pirchase a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2010 21:00

apmarina,

She probably had the printer for a great number of years. Sounds like something slowly going out. I probably would consider replacing the printer, when she runs out of ink. To help to decide, try going to the Dell Printer Learning Center just to get an idea on what to look for, in case she would ask you for an opinion. I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer. Used for scanning but mostly for homework. Get used a lot. Like the option of not having a host computer on for the children to print.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Andy,

How to isolate the ink problem. See if you can copy a document under the glass. B&W and color. If there is no problem with doing this, then it can be a driver issue and the make and model of the computer and operating system would be needed. 32-bit or 64-bit.

Copying isolates the printer from the computer, so if the issue is with copying, then I'd look at cartridges first. If the cartridges are new, I have seen some cartridges come with bad sensors in them.

Rick

5 Posts

I just called and asked her, and the copies have the same issues as the printouts - streak and dimpled printing. Also she is using real Dell ink cartridges from Staples. Any thoughts?

5 Posts

December 10th, 2010 22:00

thanks. She's on WIn XP and there's lots of stuff out there. 

Andy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

apmarina,

Look at printers and then look at the cost of ink. I don't think many people fax but most printers( All-In-Ones) have copy, scan fax features. Try to make sure the printer will work with the operating system she has on her computer. Most printers are cheap, it usually the ink that costs.

Good luck with helping to choose the right printer. Please remember that some most of the manufacturers are now putting sensors in their ink cartridges so the brand name ink cartridges need to be used, so you'll have some researching to to to find the best deal for her.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

I appreciate the info, that's what the Dell rep was suggesting - replace it - but I wanted a second, unbiased opinion.  It is 5 years old, but not really used much for anything but printing and faxing I think. She's on a very fixed limited income, so I'll have to help her find some kind of inexpensive printer, probably not Dell. Thanks very much.

No Events found!