Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2011 22:00

v715W stopped printing in color

After printing fine with black and color ink, my v715w suddenly stopped printing in color.  I reinstalled the cartridges, tried cleaning and aligning, uninstalled/reinstalled the printer and nothing seems to work.  I checked the printer preferences and color/black is selection is set to automatic.  Copies are printed without color, also, so it is not just the printing function.

Help!  The printer is just over a year old...

Any help is appreciated!

6 Posts

December 20th, 2012 09:00

I did "align printhead" too.

13 Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

Drat,

The print head you received may have been a bad one.  I once received a bad print head from Dell and they had to send me another one.  If I were you I would contact Lexmark and have them send you another one and try that.  It sounds to me like you received a bad print head.  The print head I received from Lexmark is working just fine.  I have not had any of the problems you have described.  Those print heads do not seem to be very good.  I think they were defected from t;he beginning with that model printer.  Try another one and see if you continue to  have the same problems.

Good luck and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Art      

13 Posts

Drat,

The print head you received may have been a bad one.  I once received a bad print head from Dell and they had to send me another one.  If I were you I would contact Lexmark and have them send you another one and try that.  It sounds to me like you received a bad print head.  The print head I received from Lexmark is working just fine.  I have not had any of the problems you have described.  Those print heads do not seem to be very good.  I think they were defected from t;he beginning with that model printer.  Try another one and see if you continue to  have the same problems.

Art      

13 Posts

Drat,

Art

1 Message

January 24th, 2013 00:00

I have exactly the same problem, must be planned obsolescence. Everybody seems to report
this happening just after the printer exits its warrantee period of one year.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 24th, 2013 10:00

padubbel,

It can be different soultions. If you're using the original Cartridge, they usually are not completely full cartridges. The reason is it's unknown how long the cartridges will sit with the printer until the printer is sold.

The location of you printer can also add to the situation. If you have the printer located in a drafty area or near a air duct, the air will dry out the Dell Series ink cartridges.

I have replaced the printhead once on mine and it's been working GREAT since that time. Si I had a small issue with the printhead.

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

and

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

I usually recommend you shake the Dell Series cartridges to make sure the sensors are working properly.

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

Here is a Replacement Printhead if needed.

Rick

8 Posts

January 28th, 2013 03:00

All of these suggestions are a distraction from the point of this string which is that the printer is not fit for purpose and this should be recognised by Dell.  to have the high level of failures exhibited by this model is totally Unacceptable and reflects very badly on Dell as a responsible supplier!!

13 Posts

January 28th, 2013 12:00

I’m in total agreement with all that you have said and I have
said as much to Dell.  Dell has not taken any responsibility in this issue
at all.  There should have been a recall on these printers (V715W) for the
print head problems that many  users are experiencing.  However, Dell
seem to be totally oblivious to the problem.  This printer problem is
causing me to really take a closer look at Dell and its products.  Good
Luck.

6 Posts

I gave up on Dell and bought an Epson all-in-one. It was SUPER easy to set up all the functions ... unlike my previous Dell. I couldn't figure out how to use the fax or scanner for the first YEAR I had the Dell, but I had everything working on the Epson in about twenty minutes. And I can get cartridges for it from Staples--the ONLY place I could get cartridges for the Dell was from Dell. I doubt I will ever buy another Dell printer again.

13 Posts

I suggest that you try a print head from Lexmark.  You may use the replacement print head link in padubbel's, reply.

June 5th, 2014 07:00

I have had similar problems since I bought this printer more than 2 yrs ago.The printer decides it has no color ink when in fact it has plenty, same with black. the cartridges are in place correctly. Printing a text document from the computer may work fine, but making a copy on the printer in black would be impossible. Another situation is the same with color. Sometimes a scan will not print the colors but will print black only. Other times, if I select "use only color" or "use only black" - from either the computer for documents, or on the printer for copies or scans, the machine will not honor the settings. In short, this is the worst printer I have ever seen or owned, including several b/w laser printers and a few other color machines - all from other manufacturers. Being a professional programmer who's written device drivers since 1977, I can point out the following:
When a printer fails for some reason, it's unreasonable to have to reboot to reset the printer. Dell doesn't seem to have noticed this idea. A programmer can write code to recover from errors and start the driver code from the beginning. They might also get serious about honoring the "delete pending document" and actually remove it from the queue.. these are all amateurish design errors. I should add that I've done multiple driver and related software updates and none has mattered.

No Events found!