tazal
2 Iron

How do I disable individual SMI-S alerts for VMAX arrays?

I have tens of thousands of alerts for "Thin device is now 70 percent used" in prosphere.  I could argue pretty strongly against calling devices actually getting written to a critical severity alert but instead my question is simple, what's the proper/supported method to disable these alerts?

I don't want my SMI-S servers even sending them, the source is listed as SMC(SMI-S) in the alert. 

Here are the relevant versions, running on a windows SMAS server:

CIMON Version: EMC CIM Server 2.7.3.0.0.81

SMI-S spec version: 1.6.0

SMI-S Provider version: V4.6.0.0

SMI-S Provider Location: Proxy

Solutions Enabler version: V7.6-1707 0.0

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
ConorLawlor
3 Argentium

Re: How do I disable individual SMI-S alerts for VMAX arrays?

Hi Tazal

The message is reported directly by the SMAS or Unisphere for VMAX SOAP API used by ProSphere alert collection framework. Disable the alert in SMAS or Unisphere for VMAX and in turn the alert should stop appearing in ProSphere.

Opening an SR with ProSphere support if the alert is disabled but still appears in ProPShere

Regards

Conor 

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

Are you sure it's unisphere and not the SMI-S server sending them?  Prosphere doesn't need to talk to unisphere it talks directly to an SMI-S server.

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

Maybe you are saying the alert source is set up automatically after you discover an array and it is indeed coming from unisphere.  I don't see the device level alerts in unisphere but I never disabled there either, I will look more there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

In unisphere going to selecting the array and then choosing administration in the lower right allows me to view what appear to be the alert policies.  The alert for thin device usage is disabled, which appears to be the default, and I do not see the alerts in the unisphere console.

There's either a very simple bug that should always happen or you're misunderstanding how the alerts work.

Can anyone using prosphere (in a real environment) confirm whether or not they get "Thin Devices is now XX percent used" alerts in propshere 2.0?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ConorLawlor
3 Argentium

Hi Tazal,

The alert comes from SMC or UniSphere for Vmax (through SMI-S Provider) to ProSphere as the alert is disabled in SMC or UniSphere for Vmax is still appearing in the ProSphere UI open an SR with Support to review why its flooding the alerts view.

Within the help menu of the ProSphere UI goto Home > Operations > General FAQs > What are the different external alerts shown in ProSphere? which reports thin device usage as an alert sent from SMC or UniSphere for Vmax (through SMI-S Provider) to ProSphere.

Regards

Conor

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

I see that, thanks for helping me find the proper help section.  Hopefully they will update it to show unisphere as we don't even have SMC installed.

When I read that it tells me that SMI-S is sending it, not SMC/unisphere, but I may be misinterpreting it.

I'll be honest, opening tickets on something like this is painful, which is why I came here first.

Do you know I would change the thresholds for that alert?

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

FYI: I found this in the troubleshooting section of the prosphere admin guide:

SMC (SMI-S) alerts appear when SMC is not installed

You may see certain external alerts displayed as SMC (SMI-S) alerts in ProSphere even

when no instances of SMC are installed in your environment. This is because the source

of the alerts is the Solutions Enabler. The SMI-S Provider receives the alerts from the

Solutions Enabler and sends them to ProSphere. Because these alerts are identical to

SMC alerts, ProSphere displays them as SMC (SMI-S).

The Solutions Enabler is also responsible for displaying SMC (SMI-S) alerts which have

been disabled in SMC.

0 Kudos
tazal
2 Iron

I'm including these to assist others who may run in to this in the future.  In the same section of the same doc I found this.  I will try to find the process/script mentioned in the SMI-S documentation and see if that helps me figure out how to eliminate these alerts.

Downgrading to ProSphere 1.0, then upgrading to ProSphere 1.5

When you deploy ProSphere 1.5, ProSphere subscribes to SMC events through the EMC

SMI-S Provider, which converts the SMC events to indications. Even if you remove

ProSphere 1.5, the subscription to the SMI-S Provider indications for SMC events

persists. Suppose you deploy ProSphere 1.0, which does not support consolidation of

SMC alerts, on the same ESX or ESXi cluster, and later you upgrade to ProSphere 1.5.

ProSphere 1.5 now displays all SMC alerts received before the downgrade to ProSphere

1.0, along with the new ones received after the upgrade to ProSphere 1.5.

Until you unsubscribe from SMC events, the SMI-S Provider continues to send indications

to ProSphere. To unsubscribe from SMC events in the SMI-S Provider, you need to

execute an SMI-S script that removes the ProSphere 1.5 subscription. SMI-S

documentation provides information on how to unsubscribe from SMC events.

0 Kudos
reddyg2
1 Copper

Hello

Can you please let me know if you are able to unsubscribe "Thin Device Usage alert" in SMI-S ? If yes let me know the document name. I am handling a similar issue.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos