Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2013 01:00

How to install Prosphere without VMware

Hello,

I have ECC 6.1 UB14 installed. As the eosl of ecc is approaching, i would like to have a look of the different features provided by Prosphere.

The main problem of Prosphere is that it is mandatory to be a vmware custumer....

After downloading the Prosphere Vapp, there was a hope because the Propshere Vm are in OVF format.... !!!

I tried to import the Vm under Oracle VM and Propshere is starting... but we are in trouble because of some dependancies issues (IP adresse, …) between the 3 vm (Application, Historical and Discovery) from Prosphere just because it's a vapp !!!

Has anyone have the same problem ?

==> The fact that VMware is mandatory for a setup of Prosphere is unacceptable...

Regards,

Stéphane

472 Posts

Hi Stephane,

ProSphere is only supported in a VMware environment.  This is documented on page 10 of the EMC ProSphere Deployment Guide:

Capture.PNG.png

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

EMC Customer Service

Hi,

I know that it's not supported, but anyway, i would like to setup my prosphere elewhere without any support... The problem is that emc²  requires the customer to buy a vmware license only for Prosphere if they are not a VMware custumer. But as Emc² is "buzzing" with Open Stack and other stuff, it's properly strange to be closed to Vmware for prosphere..

As anyone have the same problem ..? => We need Prosphere but we are not a Vmware custumer...?

Regards,

Stéphane

472 Posts

September 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi Stephane,

Please speak with your local EMC account manager - the Watch4Net product may suit your needs if you cannot install in a VMware only environment.

There are currently no plans to support ProSphere depoyments in non-VMware environments.  I cannot comment on how successful or not others may have been with the deployment on unsupported hardware.

Regards,

Seamus

1.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 13:00

You could also try and import the OVF files on a system running VMware Workstation.  This worked on Workstation 8.0 on my test PC.  Maybe that is an option for you?

Thanks!

September 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi again Karl,

How is it possible to get VMware worstation ? is it free ?

Thanks for your help !

Stéphane

September 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi Karl,

I did not try to import the OVG files with a VMware workstation. As you tried it, it may be an option for me .

I'm going to have a look to that

Regards

Stéphane

September 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

I have found everything i need to test a vmware workstation.

Thanks for this tip !

Regards;

Stéphane

1.2K Posts

September 25th, 2013 07:00

Excellent!  Please let us know if you are successful running the files from within VMware Workstation - I'm sure other users will be interested.

Karl

No Events found!