Highlighted
rhopping
2 Bronze

ProSphere 1.7 update - some things to know

I just want to make everyone aware of an issue that we have seen when updating to ProSphere 1.7.  The first step after updating to ProSphere 1.7 is to reboot the vApp.  What you may notice is that it takes quite awhile for the ProSphere Application (StorageResourceManager) virtual machine to start.  You won't be able to ping, or ssh to the host.

If you login to the vSphere client and open the console to the VM, you will see the following,

srm-bigdata-upgrade-alerts.PNG

The reason for this is the migration of large alert journal files is taking longer than expected.  We are reviewing how to improve this update time.  For now, if you wait, the journal file update will eventually complete and you will be able to login to ProSphere.  If you wish, you can monitor the CPU of the virtual machine to verify things are still running,

cpu_usage_update_17.PNG

For a 900 MB alert journal file, I have seen the update take about 2.5 hours (just to give you an idea how long the update could take).  Before updating to ProSphere 1.7, you can check the size of the AlertsStore.jnl file found on the ProSphere Application virtual machine in the /data/alerts directory.

Also, a quick reminder to review the ProSphere 1.7 Release Notes.  After the upgrade is complete, and you have performed the first reboot, you'll want to rerun your discovery jobs.  When those jobs have completed, perform one last restart of the vApp and ProSphere 1.7 will be ready for use.  Full recommendations can be found in the Release Notes.

Message was edited by: Ryan on January 7, 2013.  I took a look at a snapshot of my VM recently and found pre-update, my journal was only 900 MB, so I have updated the text above.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mstevenson1
1 Copper

Re: ProSphere 1.7 update - some things to know

Ryan,

Will this occur also when deploying 1.7 also?  I recently upgraded to 1.6.0.2 from 1.6.0 and the database became corrupt.  I now have to deploy 1.6.0.2.  Since I have to deploy something, it may as well be the current version.

0 Kudos
rhopping
2 Bronze

Re: ProSphere 1.7 update - some things to know

No, there will be no problems starting the ProSphere Application virtual machine after a new deployment.  This only occurs during 1.x to 1.7 updates because the alert journal needs to be upgraded.

Likewise, no need to perform the vApp reboot after a new deployment and discovery of your configuration items.   Those steps documented in the release notes are only for updates to ProSphere 1.7.

0 Kudos