Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2012 08:00

ProSphere support of Cisco UCS?

Hi,

I am wondering when ProSphere is going to support Cisco UCS environments.  Currently it is unable to correclty connect to Windows servers running on Cisco UCS, even if it has discovered the storage and brocade.

My windows hosts running on HP hardware do not have any issues.

If anyone has been able to get windows hosts on Cisco UCS Blades to be monitored through to the storage please advise.

Ryan

233 Posts

August 27th, 2012 03:00

Hi Ryan,

At this moment in time no plans to support the UCS blade server as a self-contained unit but ProSphere will see the hosts that are configured on it like any other physical host.

What method are you using to discover the windows host?

If NPIV is enabled on the switch ports it may be the reason why the hosts in the Cisco UCS environments is not discovering correctly in ProSphere.

From the support matrix 

Discovery support is limited to physical FC ports only. ProSphere does not support N Port Identifier Virtualization (NPIV), Virtual fabrics and logical switches, and Administrative Domains features.

NPIV support will be added with the next release of ProSphere 1/4 4 2012.

Regards

Conor

8 Posts

August 27th, 2012 07:00

Thank you Conor, very much appreciate the answer, I was not aware of a lack of NPIV support, that would explain the issue, as UCS uses NPIV at the Fabric interconnect level to connect to the upstream Brocades.

I will eagerly look forward to the next release.

23 Posts

September 11th, 2012 14:00

Is there any known workaround? I can't believe that EMC overlooked NPIV which is an integral feature of UCS and UCS  itself is a part of Vblock...

472 Posts

September 11th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

NPIV will be supported in the ProSphere 1.7 release which has a provisional GA date of mid-December 2012.

Regards,

Séamus Coffey

EMC Customer Support Services

23 Posts

May 24th, 2013 19:00

Is NPIV or discovery of paths to NPV switches support now in 2.0?

Given 90% of my server environment is running out of HP or Cisco UCS blades, lack of support here is disappointing.

No Events found!