Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2012 14:00

What is proper start order of VM machines in Prosphere?

What is proper start order of VM machines in Prosphere?

472 Posts

March 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi ECAPI3,

Welcome to the ProSphere forum!

The correct procedure is to start the VMs at the vApp level in vSphere Client (right-click the vApp and use the power off/power on options).  This will ensure that the three VMs start up/shutdown in the correct order.  Do not start the VMs individually.

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

Customer Support Services (CSS)

27 Posts

March 20th, 2012 04:00

To add to Seamus' comments.  All of the VMs should be set to start and stop at the same time.  You can confirm this by right clicking the vApp, selecting Edit Settings, then Start Order.  All ProSphere VMs should be  in Group 1 (I would even recommend you move Collectors into that group if you have any).  

I would also suggest taking a look at emc288585 which has additional information about VM configuration settings that can impact the startup and shutdown of the ProSphere virtual machines.

Ryan H.

18 Posts

March 20th, 2012 07:00

What is the start order? Mine is currently setup to be:Storage Resource Manager, Discovery Appliance and then Historical Database. I'm assuming that is correct? When I start power up and login, I get error that it can't connect to either the discovery appliance nor historical database. I had the VMs renamed by mistake and then named back to original name but still have same issue. Perhaps a redeploy is best option at this point.

27 Posts

March 29th, 2012 16:00

Sorry, I did not reply to this one sooner.  Did you end up trying a redeployment?

Regading the start order.  All of the vms should be listed in the same start group, which means they all start at the same time.

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 14:00

I redeployed prosphere and the VMs are working fine. I can now discover the symmetrix array but when I click on connectivity I get "unable to locate the resource" error. The management IP listed is the one for smc. I am currently using Prosphere 1.0.

472 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 23:00

Hi,

You are still using the base 1.0 version, yes?  I recommend that you upgrade to the latest 1.5 release.

I recall seeing the 'unable to locate the resource' error in earlier releases but not in 1.5 to date.

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

Customer Support Services

No Events found!