Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 06:00

Dell Datasafe local backup 2.0 and windows 7

I have a studio 1555 laptop two months old, after upgrading my system from Vista to Windows 7, Dell datasafe local back up software stoped working , the program keeps luanching by itself and gives an error mesasage constantly nonstop.

Also I can no longer see the second partition where datasafe stores the backup (D: drive) after upgrading the BIOS from A6 to A7 as it was recommended by dell.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2009 13:00

Greetings.  I encountered the very same issues/questions.  Here is the resolution:

Open up Windows Explorer

Navigate to – “C:\program files\Dell Datasafe local backup\components\dsupdate\dsupdate.exe”

Double click dsupdate.exe to manually update the application

It will update to the new version of Dell DataSafe Local and install a patch. 

Per your second issue regarding the recovery partition, that is simply a Windows 7 deal.  I believe you will still see it if you type manage in your start search box, select computer management top of window, Storage, then Disk Management.  It'll show up there.  Hope that helps.  Cheers.  Shefix

2 Posts

November 9th, 2009 17:00

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately it did not solve the proble, I got an error message saying "failed to find update file".

Also to add to the original post I'm using a 64 bit system, and the error message is "An unhandled Exception Occured, Application will Exit"

As for the second part, I was able to see the recovery partition like you've suggested.

10 Posts

November 11th, 2009 02:00

Hi, i have the same problem :( it's really annoying message, when you close it, it appears again in few seconds...

Double click dsupdate.exe to manually update the application

It will update to the new version of Dell DataSafe Local and install a patch. 

When i trying to install update "DataSafe_9_3_24_50_x64_Update.exe"  it's says to me

"Dell datasafe local backup software version not found"

7 Posts

November 13th, 2009 13:00

Same problem here.  I upgraded from Vista to 7 and wonder if the recovery partition is Vista.  I can't make recovery disks and can't upgrade the program.

10 Posts

November 13th, 2009 18:00

Same problem here.  I upgraded from Vista to 7 and wonder if the recovery partition is Vista.  I can't make recovery disks and can't upgrade the program.

Oh, i have a small idea... Did you reorganize your partitions? Maybe we have this problem because of that?  I had split my partition into two drives... maybe we have this in common?  (just a wonder... )

7 Posts

November 14th, 2009 05:00

Thanks for replying.  I didn't touch the partitions. I don't see why it would matter in your case, if you didn't touch the recovery partition.   I was thinking that the recovery partition in my case would have to be vista and not 7which I upgraded to.  I called tech support and they didn't have a solution yet.

November 15th, 2009 02:00

I have the same problem. I upgraded my studio XPS 13 to windows 7 and now the second partition is gone and for every few seconds an error pops up.

On top of that i had backed up all my data using the Dell Datasafe Local Backup in an Emergency folder from the advanced boot menu. Now the Emergency folder is full of DSB files. I dont know haw to restore it.

Please someone help me.....   My important data is in the emergency folder.  If there is any other program that extracts the DSB files please suggest me.

November 15th, 2009 03:00

Thanks for the reply.

I ll also speak to the customer support on this and get things right.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2009 03:00

i had a conversation with support, and here is the last answer:

"Vadim, based from the information that you have provided, it is possible that this is a compatibility issue with Windows 7. It seems that Dell DataSafe still will not work for Windows 7 since this is just new."

"will escalate this to our product group so they may further investigate this and afterwards come up with a resolution. Once we receive any updates, we will just follow up on you."

36 Posts

November 21st, 2009 07:00

Hi guys,

I have a Dell Studio 540 ....no partitions...and after upgrading my system from Vista to Win 7...so  have the same problem  like “hmvs”, “sharath123”,”Rich1K” .... it's really annoying message, when you close it, it appears again in few seconds...

Could you please tell me What did you do  to stop this NON STOP annoying message:”An Unhandled Exception occurred . Application will exit.”

By the way...I notice two software in Programs: Dell Data Safe Local Backup (means last update Data Safe  9_3_24_50_x64) and Dell Data Safe Local Backup - Support ( from the time of Win Vista)

It is necessary to uninstall :Dell Data Safe Local Backup - Support? What is this?

Did somebody where to find to download and re-installl this software?

I have the CD from Dell( drivers for Win Vista and for Win 7).. but I don't which file is it ?...there are manny files starting  with R...don't know which one...

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2009 11:00

Could you please tell me What did you do  to stop this NON STOP annoying message:”An Unhandled Exception occurred . Application will exit.”

you can remove it following registry keys, just look to the Data column what path of the program, if it contain "dell datasafe" you can remove it.

btw:  before doing that backup your registry or make restore point.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce           

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Did somebody where to find to download and re-installl this software?

I have the CD from Dell( drivers for Win Vista and for Win 7).. but I don't which file is it ?...there are manny files starting  with R...don't know which one...

Hi, if you really need it, i can find file name for you, but unfortunately reinstall does'nt resolve this problem...

And if you already uninstalled it, you can't install it again - there will be error during installation.

36 Posts

November 21st, 2009 13:00

From the beginning I would like to thank you for your quickly replay.

What I do until now: I used an earlier restore point to see if it's working.

Good: I have the files Datasafe Backup (all two) again...the old version which was working on Vista...I did not the update... but...bad thing... it's not working; also good thing...no error message (thank you God !)...I used F8 to see/verify  if is there ...Repair computer...etc...nope...not a chance.

What I noticed when I did the restore and I used the received CD ( "Dell Upgrade Assistent for Win 7") from Dell : in the first time he tried to re-install the soft for DateSafe Local Backup ...but it's not working...remained the old version...any way is there... I believe there are DataSafe Local Backup on the CD.

Also, if is there...looks we can uninstall and re-install it again.Bad thing :  it's impossible to find it on the CD ....for ex...type: HTLM documents or Configurations settings (?)...no exe

Also, looks  the update for DataSafe Local Backup did the error non stop message. 

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 03:00

Hi, septigre

you can find it on CD1 by this path: cdrom drive :\DellWin7Upgrade\APPS\64BIT\DSL\setup.exe

36 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 18:00

Hi hmvs,

Yes and No...Yes: was exactly what you are saying...No: the annoying error message came backDevil.

Dell didn't do his home work.

Thanks for your time and help.

Have a nice day!

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 18:00

Hi, septigre :)

Heh, as i told you before you can just delete this autorun entries from registry and this annoying message will disappear after restart of your windows.

Just look at my post before. If you still have a problem don't hesitate, just write.

Yep, as Dell support told me. they will contact as when they have a solution...

No Events found!