Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2011 19:00

Roxio Creator Starter Version, part of Dell Win 7 (64) Purchase July 2011

We got our son a new Dell XPS 8300 Desktop this past summer. As part of the purchase, Roxio's Creator Starter Version (12) was also provided.  He is only a standard user on his PC so, at times, I get to play with his PC as well, mostly updating security etc. The playing included the above software which I thought was pretty cool. I downloaded an extra copy of this software from Dell thinking that I would install the software on my HP desktop (also running Win 7, 64) but I get an error message saying that this program can only be installed on a Dell PC.

I paid for this program, as part of the package, and I should be able to use it on other PC's as well. Our son never touched it on his new Dell PC. Therefore, if installed on my HP PC, I would still be the only user for this program. I have no trouble deleting it from his PC, if this is what is required to get it up and running on my HP PC.

Is there any way to overcome this install issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

11 Posts

November 25th, 2011 20:00

Yes, you are all excited over a simple question that I had (how to overcome an install issue) and where I felt that the purchase should have allowed me to use the product on something else other than a Dell PC. Yes, I understand that this is an OEM product. It still does not make it a very consumer friendly purchase/product. For that, I fault both Dell and Roxio. That is my position. Last time I checked, we are still entitled to have our own opinions w/out getting "shouted" at which is what you did with the large font and underline biz and quoting et al.

FYI, back in 2001 when we purchased a Gateway PC, we got an OEM product. It was called MS Office XP. After we retired the old Gateway PC and then purchased (the now also retired) Dell, I was able to install that OEM software on that new Dell PC. So much for an OEM product not working on other PC's.

And no, I don't agree with your position but I am not shouting. Like I said, the case is open for you. Follow up as much as you like. I got the answer to my inquiry (asking for a solution to overcome the install limitation and apparently, there is none). For me, the case is now closed and resolved.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 24th, 2011 20:00

I paid for this program, as part of the package, and I should be able to use it on other PC's as well.

Uh, no. You paid for this program to be used on a Dell. That's how it works. This program is coded to be able to installed only on a Dell.

If you want Roxio for your HP, you will need to buy.

11 Posts

November 24th, 2011 21:00

Yes, I understand PC's are a bit different than other products but in the end, I still purchased this (in this case, software). Therefore, I should be able to do with this product as I see fit. In this case, install it on an non Dell PC. No, I am not going to buy Roxio for my HP PC. 

So, if I have a Dell PC, an HP PC and a Lenovo PC, I could end up buying 3 copies of Roxio even, though, most likely, I would only be running one copy at a time. I don't think so. Disappointed in Dell. Yes, I am sure they are getting a good deal from Roxio and vice versa but...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2011 05:00

Yes, I understand PC's are a bit different than other products but in the end, I still purchased this (in this case, software). Therefore, I should be able to do with this product as I see fit. In this case, install it on an non Dell PC. No, I am not going to buy Roxio for my HP PC. 

No, again. You purchased the software that is for the Dell and Dell only.

The OS is the same way. That copy of Windows is for that Dell and that Dell alone.

ld only be running one copy at a time. I don't think so. Disappointed in Dell. Yes, I am sure they are getting a good deal from Roxio and vice versa but...

And that is the story. Roxio has deals with Dell, HP, Lenovo, whoever.

You should try installing one of the HP software on your Dell. It won't work either unless you have software that has a product key to use.

3.7K Posts

November 25th, 2011 06:00

That Roxio sound like a OEM version, and not a retail version. So I would agree with ieee488, and say it's for a Dell system.

Edit: you can always download, Ashampoo Burning Studio Free, that will do the job. Also nero 9 HERE, free. Or Nero Kwik Media free.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2011 07:00

The Roxio software that ships with Dells have always been OEM.

The ones I have bought and the new the Dells at my employer.

The OP doesn't realize that her HP's software is probably the same way. To blame Dell when not understanding *what* the software license is simply ridiculous.

11 Posts

November 25th, 2011 13:00

OK. I get it. It's for Dell only (no reason to get excited ieee488).  

Still think, it stinks from a consumer standpoint but it is what it is.

Thanks RobinBredin for the suggestions. I will try that route.

11 Posts

November 25th, 2011 14:00

Case Closed.

11 Posts

yes you are.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

OK. I get it. It's for Dell only (no reason to get excited ieee488).  

Still think, it stinks from a consumer standpoint but it is what it is.

Thanks RobinBredin for the suggestions. I will try that route.

Not getting excited, just pointing out the errors of your assumptions. When you persist in posting wrong information, you will get rebuttal.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2011 17:00

No, not getting excited. Using large fonts, so YOU can read it! 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2011 18:00

I don't consider it closed.

11 Posts

November 25th, 2011 18:00

Yes you are.  Case closed.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Thank you!

The next time you are wrong, please don't go around accusing people of being "all excited", just because you have nothing better to respond with.

11 Posts

OK, case is open for you.

No Events found!