Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2006 23:00

SONICENCODERS.MSI - Dell Network Install won't let me remove Sonic Encoders software

Hi All,

I am trying to remove Sonic Encoders from my new XPS 600 system. I go through Add or Remove Programs in the control panel. After clicking "Remove", I get this message in a Windows Installer window:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."
"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'SONICENCODERS.MSI' in the box below."

User source: d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\Sonic\

Now, since I am not on Dell's network where they installed this software, I cannot find this file. I've inserted the Sonic CD that came with my computer, and this file is not on it.

How am I supposed to uninstall this?

19 Posts

February 28th, 2006 23:00

Well, I canceled out of the remove operation, and now it is not listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" window.

This seems shady.

March 18th, 2006 00:00

I have the exact same problem.  If you hit control-alt-delete and end task. It is then fine but I hat this because everytime another user logs on, this stupid error comes up.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get this off of my computer.  Thanks

19 Posts

March 18th, 2006 02:00

You won't like the option I took. My system (my expensive, top of the line system) was crashing all the time. I reinstalled XP Media Center Edition several times, but still it was crashing.

The Dell OEM install auto-craptacularly installs a bunch of useless software. If you use google, you can find ways to slipstream a new XP CD without this stuff. I did, but still had problems with Media Center Edition. So, I bought another copy of XP Pro. Now, my system has never crashed and it works like a charm.

I made a website that details all of my gripes with MCE (www.ihatewindowsmediacenter.com).

And, when you slipstream your CD, there is software that lets you set great options like making the OS load into memory instead of pagefile, etc. I used something called nlite, and have been more than happy.

March 18th, 2006 12:00

I actually called Dell and they said they can fix it but would charge me $79.00 to do so.  Based on what you just told me. I think I may just pay the fee to have it fixed by them.  I have not had a problem at all with my system crashing and it seems to work just fine including the Media center. 

I also went into the remove programs and cleaned out most of the junk that Dell automatically installs on this thing when you get it.  That made a big difference now and seems to do the job just fine except for that stupid message that I continue to have with that sonic issue. 

Thanks for the issue and the suggestion.  I think I will check with Dell first though. 

161 Posts

March 18th, 2006 19:00

Try running Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Highlight the Sonic programs you want removed

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

March 19th, 2006 01:00

Awesome.  That did the trick.  Truly appreciate the help.

161 Posts

March 19th, 2006 01:00

@reindeerboy wrote:
Awesome.  That did the trick.  Truly appreciate the help.

No problem, glad it worked for you

2 Posts

March 28th, 2006 23:00

wee.alex, your the man! - i just used that window's application you mentioned above and it swiped it right on out, thanks!

-john
-http://www.pimpyourpro.com

1 Message

February 3rd, 2013 10:00

Hi All,

I am trying to remove Sonic Encoders from my new XPS 600 system. I go through Add or Remove Programs in the control panel. After clicking "Remove", I get this message in a Windows Installer window:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."
"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'SONICENCODERS.MSI' in the box below."

User source: d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\Sonic\

Now, since I am not on Dell's network where they installed this software, I cannot find this file. I've inserted the Sonic CD that came with my computer, and this file is not on it.

How am I supposed to uninstall this?

No Events found!