Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2012 08:00

Bios Password reset help

I have been working on an older computer for a friend. He has a dell desktop, but the problem is he set the password on the bios screen. When i go to type in the the password now the keyboard will not work the only key that works is the enter key . I tried removing the cmos battery and resetting but nothing is seeming to work.Every time the enter key is pressed the screen says System halted! Must power down.

Can anyone give me a little insight on how to fix this problem?

October 16th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

You can try to reset the password jumper and the 'CMOS' jumper on the system board. Please share the system model number and I will provide the steps.
If you know how to reset jumpers, observe the following safety precautions before performing any steps:

• Turn off the system and disconnect any attached peripherals (printer, USB flash drives, SD card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cord).
  • Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the system.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for any further queries. 

2 Posts

October 16th, 2012 20:00

The express tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>, i tried removing the cmos battery but it still keeps asking for a password. The only problem is that you cant type the password because the computer is somehow locking up the keyboard . The only button that you can press is the enter key but then it says system halted must power down.

October 17th, 2012 04:00

Thank you for the response. 

You can try to reset the password jumper to clear the password. Follow these steps:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from your computer. Disconnect any attached peripherals from the computer (printer, USB flash drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse)
  3. Press the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  4. Open the computer cover.
  5. Locate the Password jumper on the system board, and move the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 (to 'clear' the password when you turn on the computer).
  6. Connect the peripherals and the power cord. Turn on the computer.

Please try these steps and revert with the results. 

December 25th, 2012 18:00

The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

1 Message

December 30th, 2012 04:00

Due to internal hard drive issue I have replaced my laptop hard drive.

After replaced my hard drive issue showing like:-

Error:

0271: check date and time setting

Warning:

0251: System CMOS checksum bad – default Configuration

Press F1 to resume, F2 to setup

Regards

Asish

No Events found!