Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 30th, 2009 14:00

Can't find saved folders for microsoft outlook.

My microsoft outlook will not open and I am trying to locate my saved emails form the hard drive before I remove and reinstall the program. I have looked in the c drive and can not locate the saved files. Thanks, Matt

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2009 17:00

Press the Windows Key + R (or Click Start, Run)  and type the following:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

You'll see a file, usually named outlook.pst. This is your Outlook file. All emails, calendar, contacts are in this one file.

December 31st, 2009 09:00

Thank you. I found the file correctly now. Now I need to know what program to use to open the file or is it possible to reload microsoft outlook and will it find it on its own. I do not plan on using the program anymore and instead have gone to only using gmail. I need my contacts for sure out of the folder and I would like to have some of the saved emails also. Thanks for the help, Matt

6.4K Posts

December 31st, 2009 11:00

The .pst file contains your archived e-mail.  If you want your contacts as well you need the find a file with the extension .pab and copy that as well.  EDIT:  Apologies, just noticed that you are writing about Office 2007; that version of Outlook does not use .pab files.

The only program I know that will open these files is Outlook.  You can do that by using the Open feature from File at the top menu bar.

December 31st, 2009 12:00

Thank for your help. I am finding everything that you have told me. I will try to "fix" my problem this afternoon. Will let you know how it goes later. Thanks very much, Matt

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2009 12:00

You should probably repair your Outlook file. Instructions are < here >.Then you can reinstall Outlook and choose File Open Outlook Data File from the menu. Open your Outlook file and, if you need to save any contacts. you can use the File, Export. Follow the prompts to save to a file and choose comma separated. You'll be able to import them into your other email program.

December 31st, 2009 13:00

Well I tried to find the file for fixing it and the file was not found. Not sure if I not sure if I should just try to reload microsoft office outlook or what to do next.

2.5K Posts

December 31st, 2009 18:00

There are a few things to note when backing up Outlook.

1. The default storage Outlook.PST is kept behind hidden folders.  Make sure you have changed Folder Options in Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders beforehand, even before attempting a repair for the first time.  BTW, Inbox Repair Tool will remember the last opened folder.

2. Make sure Outlook is not running in the background as a process by running Task Manager.

3. After copying the PST and reinstall Outlook, it is recommended that you import data from the old PST file to the new one, rather than overwriting the new with old to avoid a possible issue with having duplicate address books.

File > Import and Export > Import from another program or file > Personal Folder File (.pst)

January 1st, 2010 09:00

How do you make all the hidden folders able to be seen?

1.7K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 05:00

Control Panel, Folder Options, View Tab, check "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"

No Events found!