Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2014 10:00

Command | Update keeps finding same drivers

Running Command | Update v.2.0.0 on my OptiPlex 9020 and it keeps finding the same update over and over. I've installed it but a re-scan using Command | Update keeps finding the same driver. Using System Analysis on Dell.com/Support for my model OptiPlex yields a similar result, though it finds an additional driver that it says needs updating. Installing and re-analyzing results in the same two drivers found.

Here is more specific information

Command | Update Driver Identified as needing an update:

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver (58.8MB,12/21/2013)

Additional Details

Release ID: GJVHD

Version: A02 (9.5.15.1730)

Dell Support Site System Analysis Result

Intel 8 Series Chipset Device Software Driver

Version 9.4.0.1027, A03

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver

Version 9.5.15.1730, A02

Downloading and installing the recommended drivers manually does not resolve the issue. Command | Update and the System Analysis still show the above drivers as outdated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 Posts

October 24th, 2014 23:00

Same here for my Latitude E6540.

Running Windows 7 X64 as delivered from Dell, Dell Docking station, Dell screens, Dell external keyboard and external mouse.  Its a member of my AD domain and is my business machine.

I ran the Command Update while the machine was connected to my Dell Pro E Port docking station.  It locked the machine up and I lost connectivity to anything connected to the Docking station (keyb, Mouse, Disk Drives, LAN)

• I removed the machine from the docking station however the on-board keyb and mouse weren't functioning.  
  • I removed the battery while powered on, and restarted the machine.  
  • The machine rebooted itself a few more times and after it settled still had no access to Keyb/Mouse
  • After two more restarts the on-board Mouse/Keyboard came back and I am able to log on but the numeric keypad is unavailable
  • Reran command update in the hope that It will sort out all the issues, and the app sees the same 3 drivers. (Intel 6235 Driver ver 15.06.1000.0142) (IME Components Driver V9.5.15.1730) (realtek High Def Audio Driver ver A00)
  • It says it has installed 2 drivers OK but doesn't say which ones
  • From the history it has tried 3 times to install the WiFi driver, 4 times to install the IME
  • When I check Device Manager, it shows an unknown device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_05BE1028&REV_04

I have then gone to the Dell website and downloaded Dell System Detect.it detected 5 outdated drivers and commenced installing them.  It seems to be stuck on 98% for one of the drivers being installed, and I have lost the on-board mouse again, still no external connectivity nor numeric keypad.

Come on Dell you are better than this kind of issue, who is providing support for this, my machine is only 4 months old and its driving me insane

9 Posts

October 25th, 2014 00:00

My wife's Dell shows a similar problem.  What I have been able to see from hers is that the IME Components Driver is dated 2014, but Dell command Update is trying to download and install a 2013 driver.

When I ran Intel update manager it says there are no updates

7 Posts

December 8th, 2014 00:00

Same here, Command Update (version 2.00) is in a perpetual loop, every update:

1. Downloads & Install each time Intel Management Engine Components Installer version 9.5.15.1730

2. downloads and fail to install Dell Command |Power Manager VJMDY, version A00 (2.00)

Apparently Command Update version 2.00 32bits tries to install Command Update version 2.00 64 bit and fails to do so. Manual install of 64bit version does work either.

No critical issue but annoying.

December 8th, 2014 14:00

Chiming in. Same problem here. Keep getting offered the same two old drivers. Somebody needs to fix the detection logic.

5.2K Posts

December 8th, 2014 17:00

Best to download and install each update yourself. You can then install the exact version you want. In some cases, especially video drivers, get the latest driver from the video manufacturer. You can get main board drivers from Intel. You can get better touchpad drivers for laptops from others. Dell does not supply many driver updates.

December 8th, 2014 20:00

Yes, one could do that, but the point of an app like Command Update and DCSU before it is to not have to do that. We deploy what Dell releases, and these tools make that easier. Just need Dell to correct detection issues in the catalog like the one we're experiencing. Getting individual drivers is fine for a couple machines, but not much fun when you have hundreds or more. 

3 Posts

December 8th, 2014 22:00

Exactly Scott. We could look for individual drivers from various manufacturers, but the point of this tool is to centralize and make updating drivers more efficient. One could use this tool to find the latest Dell approved drivers and then package for deployment to all the machines in the organization.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2014 04:00

Where is the fix Dell.

This is not a new problem the previous software had the same issue.

Very poor. Not up to usual Dell standards.

I am uninstalling this.

December 11th, 2014 11:00

My issue was on a Latitude E6440 with Win 7 x64. Sorry for not specifying this in my reply. You're more than welcome to remote to my affected system if you can't recreate.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

@Community,

Thank you all for all your feedback. I was notified of your feedback due to a mention of this thread in Twitter.

So far, we've pulled a 9020 from the lab and used Dell Command Update on it ( Windows 7 Pro x64 ). We ran the scan and it found several items that needed to be updated. Among those items was the AMT driver. We updated all the drivers that were found in the scan then re-ran the scan. No new items came up for update.

Even though I have not been able to duplicate the issue so far, this doesn't mean that I'm done investigating.

I will be in touch with further detail once I know more.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 11th, 2014 12:00

Thank you for your help Scott,

I will send a friend request with some questions for you, so that we can move forward.

December 12th, 2014 08:00

I went back to the laptop that was having the problems, and the drivers are no longer offered. Last time I had tried and received duplicates was Dec 8. As of this morning, it isn't reoffering those drivers, so whatever issue it was having seems to have been resolved.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2014 13:00

Hi Justin,

I still have an issue with the Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver (58.8MB 12/21/2013) not updating properly using the Dell Command Update Tool. Please see attached image below.

I have exported my system settings as an XML file, I can send it to you if you will find it helpful.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 15th, 2014 09:00

@Scott_Ladewig,

Thanks for the update about the Latitude.

@Mikejpark,

I'll send a friend request. I'll be happy to work with you.

December 17th, 2014 13:00

Looks like I spoke too soon. Different laptop, E7440, keeps saying it needs the Intel management components.

No Events found!