Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2009 06:00

DELETING FILES FROM DATASAFE

Hi,

please could anyone tell me how i delete files from dell datasafe online backup? I do not wish to remove the files from my laptop, I just wish to remove them from datasafe as I have no room left on it and I feel I have less important files stored on there and more important files that i wish to back up. 

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Emmy

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

You should use another means of backup and file storage that is in your control--an external hard drive, for instance. There are many reported problems with datasafe and when the subscription expires all your data is lost. Never depend on only one method of backup. Read these FAQ's  that say you cannot store files online. It is only for backups and each backup replaces the one before. You should also simply copy personal  files to another backup device.

Make sure you are not talking about the D Recovery Partition on your hard drive. That is not datasafe. That partition is never used for backups or anything else. It is just for the factory image and should not be added to or changed in any way. If you have changed that partition, you cannot use it for factory restore.

97 Posts

December 7th, 2009 07:00

There is no real "delete" for Datasafe Online. If you do not wish a file or type of files to be backed up, simply exclude them from your backup set and it will no longer count against your used quota. If you wanted to delete all of your backup data and start fresh you can simply unselect all files and then pick a small text file or image and run your backup. Now your space is clear.

I would also reiterate that it is nice to maintain a separate local backup. Datasafe Online is designed to be a set-it-and-forget-it back up of your most important files. If you've got a music or movie collection you don't want to lose it is more economical to pick up a second hard disk and back your files up that way.

~dsopro

19 Posts

December 7th, 2009 16:00

Emmy

Are you using the “folder view” or the “category view” to select the files to back up?

The standard way of choosing is the “category view”. However, in the bottom of the screen where you select the files to back up there is a “folder view” option.

If you click that option, you will see a list of files to copy and files not to copy. To delete a file take out the checkmark in front of its name.

Hope this helped.

--Matias

No Events found!