Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2012 06:00

DON"T PURCHASE DATASAFE -- IT DOES NOT WORK AND CANNOT GET HELP

I wish I had read these forums BEFORE purchasing DataSafe! I purchased 30GB of storage only 4 short months ago.  At that time NO ONE told me that since I no longer had a warranty on my laptop if I had any problems at all, I would not be able to get help -- unless I wanted to pay extra.

My laptop had to be rebuilt this month and I have spent over 2 weeks trying to get to my files off Dell’s server.   I got everything from password errors to connection errors.  I finally started restoring files 1GB at a time....until one day I no longer could see half of my files using the laptop software version.   When I logged online, I could see my files on Dell's website.   The DataSafe website SAYS you can restore files from there.  It states to just pick the files you want to restore and they will package them and send you an email when they are done.  You can then download them from the website.   So, I decided to do that to get my last remaining files.  It told me it would take approximately 8 hours to package.   24 hours later, I have no email and the website says I have no restores or restores pending.  Basically Dell has my files and I cannot get them back.

The DataSafe website is no help at all and they do not have a department you can directly contact.   You have to contact the mail Dell Support.   Dell Support refuses to help me without paying a fee!!!   I am not asking them to fix my computer!  I am asking them to fix their own DataSafe website that is supposed to be packaging my files and providing me a link to download them from!

Again, NO ONE told me when I purchased it that since I no longer had a warranty on my laptop if I had any problems at all, I would not be able to get help -- unless I wanted to pay extra.  Even though I just purchased this service 4 months ago.   So I paid for them to store my files and they want me to pay more to get my files back.   Where I come from -- that is called extortion.

The Dell Support tech was extremely rude to me and not understanding at all.  When I asked to get my money back, he basically said he would be more than happy to get me off his line and lose my business.  He then transferred me to an order hotline that was not open yet so all I got was a recording to go online or call back later.

I will be calling back later to try and get my money back!  AND I WILL NEVER BUY DELL AGAIN!  Which is a shame because I have been a customer for over 15 years.  And if I don't get my money back?   I will be complaining to the BBB.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2012 06:00

I also want to add I even tried the "sharing" option where Dell is to supply a link to the files to friends and family for viewing.  I thought I would download the files that way, if possible.   But of course, I never received the link for viewing like Dell said it was sending.  I guess that should be no surprise at this point.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2012 06:00

Saga continues....finally got an email saying my restore was complete, only to get the following error when trying to get to the files on their website: "An application error occurred on the server".  So again, Dell wants ME to pay THEM to fix THIER server issus.

August 7th, 2012 11:00

Dell DataSafe Online came with my computer. When the free was up I didn't renew (Feb. 2012).  About two weeks ago, I renewed and it let me back up my data.  I got the renewal successful email.  Then I got an email saying my account was deactivated as of Feb 3, (duh) as it was, until I renewed it that day.  Thinking I was good with backed up data, I had to reinstall windows.  When I went to DataSafe website to restore, I login to "your account has been deactivated".  Many phone calls later, no one knows what is wrong or how to help.  Finally today, a credit to my bank account was made as a refund.  The didn't call me to let me know that my data has vanished.  I called the 866 # next to refund, and it is disconnected.  I agree with you, NEVER BUY this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> again!!!!!  I hope you can get your files back someday!

20.5K Posts

August 7th, 2012 14:00

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Even in this day of cloud computing accidents can happen.
From now on use the 3-2-1 system as follows: 
Keep 3 copies of important files (a primary and two backups).
Use 2 different forms of media (such as hard drive/optical media), to protect against different types of hazards.
Store 1 copy offsite (or at least offline). Use a trusted friend's or relative's house, etc.

I hope this helps.:emotion-15:

August 8th, 2012 14:00

Call 877-218-1671.  I FINALLY got help!!  Try these guys out, my issue is almost perfectly solved!!!

3 Posts

August 8th, 2012 14:00

you shouldnt have to back up your back up... after all, you are paying for a service!

20.5K Posts

August 8th, 2012 15:00

you shouldnt have to back up your back up... after all, you are paying for a service!
I disagree.  People pay for services every day that fail to meet expectations. Better safe than sorry.

No Events found!