Highlighted
creinking
1 Copper

Dell Command Update 3.1 UpdateType Bug

First off, I am very pleased with the release of DCU 3.1.  However I found a bug and unsure how to report it to the appropriate team.

According to the manual, you can use dcu-cli.exe with the -updateType switch (alongside /scan and /applyUpdates) to determine which types of updates are installed (bios,drivers,etc).  However it does not work - it always processes all of them.

A workaround is the run the /configure option with the -updateType switch but that then applies to all future runs.

This is a problem in that we'd like to run BIOS updates overnight and immediately reboot whereas driver updates can occur mid-day without a reboot.

Other than this forum, is there another way to properly submit bug reports?

(1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Dell Command Update 3.1 UpdateType Bug

Reporting in that we have the exact same bug, and would appreciate a fix. That said, very glad to have this tool, and thanks as well for the workaround!

Highlighted
dyamamoto
1 Copper

I experienced this issue as well.

A couple of other things that I ran across.

1) When running /scan -report=somefilename.log, the specified file name would get created as a folder and the file DCUApplicableUpdates.xml would be generated in the folder.

2) -scheduleReboot option did not appear to work. Ended up using -scheduledReboot when running /configure

Highlighted
CountDell
1 Copper

Thanks for the info.  The -UpdateType field doesn't accept the "apps" parameter either.  It will fail and give an error if used.  Thanks for the tip regarding the /configure I will use that to achieve what I need.

The value provided for option '-updateType' is not valid.
Program exited with return code: 107

Highlighted
xtreme22886
1 Copper

I just finished working on a script to update the BIOS using DCU 3.1 and here are my findings.

Would install ALL updates

• dcu-cli.exe /applyUpdates -updateType=bios -AutoSuspendBitLocker=enable

Would install ONLY BIOS update

• dcu-cli.exe /applyUpdates -autoSuspendBitLocker=enable -updateType=bios

I was only able to get DCU 3.1 to filter by update type if it was the last argument given. Can you try that and see if that works for you? Also, don't use -silent as the first time I used it, everything installed when I was just trying to install the BIOS update. The -silent switch only silents the CLI text output. When using the CLI, there is never a GUI that pops up. I'd rather not use -silent so I can capture the return codes.

DCU 3.1 /scan testDCU 3.1 /scan test

DCU 3.1 /applyUpdates testDCU 3.1 /applyUpdates test

DCU 3.1 /applyUpdates installed allDCU 3.1 /applyUpdates installed all

Highlighted
dyamamoto
1 Copper

I confirmed that it works for me when putting "-updateType" at the end of the command.

I see what you mean about the -silent option. In my use case, a script initiates the dcu-cli and then outputs the return codes to the installation log using "-outputLog".