Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2010 11:00

Dell DataSafe LOCAL Backup 2.0

Is it possible to download an installer for Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0, or is this utility only available with a factory download?

Thanks for your advice.

---------

To be very clear: I am not asking about Dell DataSafe Online Backup and Sharing. Please do not suggest that I visit this URL:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/shared/services/datasafe/datasafe?c=us&l=en&cs=19

I am asking about Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0, which is described here:

"What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0?"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=62A5FEC442F5C1CBE040AE0AB8E17091&doclang=en

Thank you.

---------

Please note: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 is not offered through My Dell Downloads; and it is not offered on the normal drivers and updates web page. Thank you.

88 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

I just finished a 'chat' with Dell technical support, and I have my answer:

As I suspected, Dell licenses this software (possibly from Symantec) and Dell's license does not permit Dell to offer the software separately from the factory download. Therefore, if DataSafe Local Backup did not ship with your computer, you cannot obtain it .

The version of DataSafe Local Backup included with the factory download is Basic; there are two additional versions: Pro and RAID1. Neither one is free, but you might be able to purchase them from Dell.

1 Message

May 14th, 2010 23:00

I've been looking for the Mysterious DataSafe LOCAL Backup installer myself for a couple days.  Thank you for posting, and putting to rest, the "Easy Method" being downloading and installing an executable.  Now the "questionable" method being torrents.  I'll keep you posted, but I'll keep it vague and "forum legal".

:emotion-36:Thanks Again.

June 2nd, 2010 12:00

I too am having the same problem.  I just bought a brand new Inspiron yesterday and it didn't have the DataSafe Local Backup installed, only the Online backup, which is useless for restoring an OS.  Why Dell didn't just include a Windows 7 install disc in their package is way beyond me - probably a cost savings budget plan, but it is making customers unhappy.  After being on the phone with a technical support agent for over an hour, we could not get the downloadable installer file to download.  Not to mention, I had to show him how to make Internet Explorer the default web browser after I installed Mozilla - kind of scary.

If someone can post a good link to download this installer file, that would be terrific.  I know I had my reservations about buying a Dell product before, but this almost seals the deal to never make that mistake again.

881 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 15:00

June 2nd, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, this is what the tech support agent directed me to.  When I run the DSL check executable, it brings up a small window with a long 20 or 25 digit code with an "OK" button.  When I click on "OK" it opens the following URL:

http://dslbdownload.ddsupdate1.com/DSLDownload.html

The tech support guy said this usually just directs you to move on to step 2 of the "EASY Steps", but for me all it does is continually loop and refresh itself on a blank page and never loads anything.  He said it could have been from a busy server last night and to try it again in the morning.  I've tried it 5 or 10 times since last night throughout the morning and afternoon and it still doesn't work - like I said, it appears to try to load a page, but just keeps looping on itself.

Are there any other links or locations to download this file?  This one does not work for me.

Does this link work for you?  I tried to delete all my cookies and temp internet files, but that didn't change anything.

881 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 16:00

I just tried again and it did not work the first two times but did in attempt #3. My connection bogs down somewhat at this time of day so that might have something to do with it. I am not sure. I am sure the link is still good. I made several attempts rapidly one after the other using IE8.

Jeff

June 14th, 2010 22:00

I tried it right after your last post, Jeff, and that night it worked on the first try.  Not really sure why it worked, but I guess the internet connection got it's mojo straightened out.  Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Message

October 13th, 2010 16:00

I have downloaded the installer from this address multiple times both on my laptop and the desktop - both of which are running XP.  When I try to install the program I get to a certain point and get an error message from the InstallShield Wizard that says "RPSetup error 1".  When I hit okay it shuts down the whole installation process.  There is no area of the site you gave above for 'Help' or 'Troubleshooting' so I have no idea what's wrong or what to do about it.  As I said, I have checked to make sure it wasn't a corrupt installation file by erasing it and re-downloading it several times on two different computers.  So, whatever the problem is it's inherent in the program itself.  Since I don't have the Dell Datasafe Local Backup or a disc of Windows itself, I have no means to reintall Windows when it's acting up, which is what I'm trying to do now.  Help?

Georgiana

4 Posts

May 15th, 2011 00:00

Has anyone found a solution to the "RPSetup error 1" problem when installing Datasafe Local? I'm having the same issue on my Inspiron M101z after downloading the installer via Dell Support Center.

• 

16.7K Posts

May 20th, 2011 07:00

RNARCIS74,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

That error indicates that DSL set up is unable to locate recovery partition. Did you recently have a hard drive replaced? Some times, even though the partition is available; set up can't access it.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2011 13:00

Jesse L,

Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to install DSL on a refurbished M101z laptop that I recently purchased from the Dell Outlet.  There is a Recovery partition (D: drive), with a Factory.wim file inside the D:\Dell\Image folder.

The RPSetup.exe.log file leftover after the failed installation includes this line:

[2011-05-15 01:19:38] INFORMATION : ISOPart not found (7) (cannot find bootmgr and RP:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim) 

So maybe the installation is failing because it is looking for winre.rim which does not exist?

Thanks,

rnarciso74

• 

16.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 07:00

Marciso74,

It would appear that the Restore image is corrupt or not there. You will need to manually install windows.

December 29th, 2011 20:00

i purchased an inspiron n5030 laptop and i encountred a problem with the OS and installed another one now i installed drivers from the disc but dell data safe backup couldn't be found is there a way to download it or even backup files with another way 
thx  

1 Message

January 20th, 2012 12:00

Here is a link to get  Data Safe Local  Backup 2.0.

dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com\dsldownload-en.html

January 20th, 2012 23:00

Having had a HD failure following windows updates I am now being blackmailed by Dell into paying to get my data back. Did anyone fnd a solution to this?

No Events found!