Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2011 20:00

Dell DataSafe Local Backup to network drive

I just purchased Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Home to store my backups over my home network. However, I cannot seem to change the location where Dell DataSafe Local Backup stores the backups. It only gives me the option to place a backup on my C drive - which seems kind of silly to me. Isn't the point of backing up your computer so that your files are someplace else in case the computer or harddrive dies?

Can anyone tell me how to change the location of where Dell DataSafe Local Backup saves the backups?

Dell DataSafe Local Backup wants me to backup in some location other than my C drive when I try to backup. See the following two images:

Because when I click next I get this popup:

Problem is that I have already connected an external drive via my router. But Dell Data Safe doesn't seem to find it. I can find it fine via Windows Explorer.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 9th, 2011 19:00

If you have Windows 7, skip Datasafe and use Windows Backup & Restore instead. It will backup, make a complete system image to save on the new ext drive. It will also allow you to make a system repair disk on a cd to use as a boot disk if you cannot boot normally. Type Backup in the Start Box to open the program. Your problem could be the external drive's connection to the router instead of a single computer. The setup is different for Network hard drives. You have to set up Sharing for the hard drive on the Network same as sharing a printer. Follow Seagate's setup directions. Windows Backup will let you store and use files on a network hard drive.

10 Posts

September 12th, 2012 13:00

1) only win7-pro lets you backup oon a hard drive, win7-home only backups onto local drive or USB connected drives

2) Dell DataSafe Local Backup is *local*, same as above, wont backup onto network drive

3) Segate DiskWizard should let you backup/restore to a  network drive

1 Message

May 20th, 2014 20:00

If that is the answer I want my money back
No Events found!