Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2009 13:00

Dell DataSafe crashing: Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error

Hello, 

I recently upgraded to dell datasafe online 1.1.0029 . I think I had one successful back up with it (on July 31), and since then I've been getting a crash in the first stage of a backup, when it says it's "Connecting to Dell DataSafe Online". 

I upgraded because with the previous version I kept getting a "File in use" error (even though that wasn't the case).

What's the best way to get support for Dell DataSafe Online? Online Chat asks for a service tag, and I don't think I got a service tag with the purchase of my Dell DataSafe Online subscription.

11 Posts

August 15th, 2009 12:00

Is this post in the wrong forum...?

11 Posts

August 15th, 2009 14:00

I tried disabling all the windows startup items with msconfig, and I am still getting the same crash.

The dialog title bar says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

The message says:

Runtime Error!

Program ...\DataSafeOnline.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Does anyone know where I can get older versions of Dell DataSafe Online? It seems like this version 1.1.0029 really isn't working our for me.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2009 10:00

Last time I ran this flaky software got the runtime error.  Worked previously on same computer. Ran program on my laptop installed with Win7RC. Worked. Also overwrote my primary computer's files so figured out the Dell Data Online only works with one computer at a time. Got the runtime error when trying to back up main computer running XP Pro. Looked at this forum and other googled searches but not a definite answer and in this process found out that Dell does not provide support only FAQs which doesn't cover this certain error.  Anyway, did read something about IE tying in with Data Online software so remembered that I had upgraded to IE8 on primary computer. Took IE8 off of primary computer and now Dell Data Online can complete the backup without any runtime errors.  Also have better luck accessing my files using IE than Firefox. My laptop does has Win7 and IE8 but had no trouble so I'm assuming the updated system files in Win7 works better with IE8 and Dell Online. I also had downloaded the latest C++ files from Microsoft and tried that first with the XP computer but that didn't get rid of the runtime error until I actually took IE8 off and went back to IE6.  So IE seeming has something to do with the Dell flaky software, and even the add on installed with whatever version of IE may also affect the runtime error but luckily all I had to do was to get rid of IE8 on the XP Pro machine.

11 Posts

October 14th, 2009 11:00

Wow, thanks for the reply.

I did eventually manage to talk to someone at Dell about this (after spending more than 6 hrs on the phone, being transferred back & forth), before getting your reply. The rep had me try a few things like re-installing, and it didn't fix the problem, so the rep opened a service request. I guess I'll call them back at some point and mention this information -- that installing IE8 breaks Dell DataSafe Online.

I don't see a way to add information to and/or see the status of a service request online...

11 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 18:00

A few days ago I was prompted to upgrade to 1.0.0027 (I was still running 1.0.0023 from when I reverted back to do some tests). Just now I tried to use to see if it would work. I don't get the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error anymore, but I get a .net exception immediately when the backup starts. It seems to provide a bit more information than the C++ error:

Unable to find an entry point named 'SetBandwidthThrottle' in DLL 'OlbEng.dll'.

Stack Trace:

at Swapdrive.Shared.OlbEngine.SetBandwidthThrottle(UInt32 bwThrottle)

at Swapdrive.Shared.BackupManager.RunBackup(Object param)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

1 Message

December 23rd, 2009 11:00

I am also getting the error:

When running my data safe online backup I get the error:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program files\Dell DataSafe Online\DataSafeOnline.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more Information."

Did anyone ever get back to you on how to fix this problem?

11 Posts

December 24th, 2009 08:00

No one ever got back to me. I haven't actually verified, but someone said that this happens when Internet Explorer 8 is installed; reverting back to Internet Explorer 7 fixes the issue.

I decided to use Miscrosoft's SkyDrive instead (skydrive.live.com, together with windows explorer add-on skydrive explorer - skydriveexplorer.com). It's free for 25 GB -- only issue is the file size limit of 50MB. I just zip all my files into one big zip file, then zip-split it into chunks of 49 MB.

17 Posts

January 1st, 2010 18:00

After update my Dell Datasafe gives me the Runtime error near the end of  preparing files for backup. No support  so I'm going to ask for a refund and go out and buy an external hard drive to back up my files. These people tell you it's your OS but the error says their program requested the OS to end. I had been using Datasafe for 3 years and it worked until last update.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2010 18:00

I have the very same error, and spent an entire day with Dell tech support with no resolution.  Did you figure out the issue?  If so, any help would be appreciated.

17 Posts

January 1st, 2010 20:00

Oh and when you do call Lenovo you get an American.

17 Posts

January 1st, 2010 20:00

After a whole day with Dell we reinstalled Datasafe and got the same error. Their is no support for this product and a lot of people have not been able to use the last version. Why they don't have the old version that worked I don't know. They act like it's not their problem but yours. They did finally recomend that I get a external hard drive that they would sell me, like hell I would ever by anything from Dell again. Oh and Dell PC Tuneup keeps giving me these fake Hard Drive errors that do not exist. Just stay away from Dell. I bought my son a Lenovo 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it or any of their software. I will definatly get a Lenovo next. As far as the Datasafe Walmart sell External Hard drives for $80 that less than 2 years subsciption to Datasafe.

1 Message

January 4th, 2010 07:00

I am having the same problem with the runtime error.  It began with the last datasafe online update.  I talked to dell, they referred me to there fee for service center.  They advised it would cost $129.00 to repair and they cannot guarantee repairing it and the $129.00 is non-refundable.  The guy I spoke to then advised me to do a backup on an external hard drive. This defeats the purpose of me backing up online.  So it seems they have problems with the datasafe online backup software and are not willing to help their customers.  If anyone knows of a fix, please let me know.  Thank you,  Steve

January 16th, 2010 09:00

I encountered this error in December of 2009; I spent multiple calls with tech support to get this issue resolved.  We uninstalled and reinstalled the software multiple times it did not correct the problem. The problem is on Dell's server side not with your computer. It seems Dell upgraded the backup servers and corrupted the files on the server side. The resolution is to create a new user account and have dell transfer you account info to the new user account. The old user account is corrupted and installing an older version will not resolve the issue.

17 Posts

January 16th, 2010 16:00

The resolution is to create a new user account and have dell transfer you account info to the new user account."

How do you create a new user account without paying for another account?

January 17th, 2010 06:00

You can setup a 2 Gig Account for free. Just set it up under a new email address. Once you confirm it is working, call support and have them transfer your account to your new login. It takes about 3 business days for them to transfer your account from the old to the new.  You must log out and log back in to see that your account has been upgraded to the size that you originally had.

No Events found!