Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2013 08:00

Dell DataSafe factory restore stuck at 1%

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100.

I am trying to perform a Factory Image Restore for my Windows7 using Dell DataSafe. I got through emergency backup files and now in "restore my computer" stage.  Here's what it says ....

"Restore my computer

Please wait...

Note: You are not able to cancel this process so that the integrity of your system can be maintained. Please also do not turn off your machine during this process.

Formatting your partition....(Ticked)

Reinstalling your selected system backup

Progress: 1% completed

I left my computer the whole night turned on. After about 7 hours it still says: 1% completed

Now I am afraid if I turn the computer off the computer will be unrecoverable. I had previously run PSA and no issues were found. I want to restore as I could not resolve "not responding" issues after windows boot up.

How long should this take? What happens if I turn the computer off now to force stop this restore?

8 Posts

November 4th, 2015 05:00

I had the same problem.   I just held down the power button until the machine turned off, because at that point, you have nothing to lose.  It has already cleared the partition for the main drive.  In my case, I just started again, booting, and then hitting F8 until it went into "repair my computer" option.   I did the very same options as before, and this time, while it stayed at 1% for nearly 10 minutes, it then went on to finish OK.

3 Posts

September 26th, 2013 08:00

Note: hard disk light next to power button flashes approximately once per second.  There doesn't appear to be any sign (or sound) of activity on the hard disk.

2.6K Posts

September 26th, 2013 11:00

Hello GaryLo,

In order to assist you, please help me understand if there was any issues with the computer which made you perform a Factory Image Restore. 

I would request you to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics to check the functionality of the hardware components installed in the system. Run the test and check if it gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. 

You may also refer to this video on how to run the PSA Diagnostics: http://dell.to/18woC5M

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

September 26th, 2013 13:00

Allan, Thanks for your quick reply!

I did run PSA, including extended memory diagnostics.  No errors were found.  While it did run basic hard disk check, I did not run the full disk scan that would've taken hours.  I ran the online Dell PC Diagnostics Scan and all tests passed.

The reason for running the tests and ultimately trying Factory Image Restore is that after booting up into Windows 7, after a few minutes some applications would not respond, especially windows tools.  Even with only one application open, like Control Panel or none and just clicking the toolbars caused non responding.  Always had to force shutdown.  If I was able to click shutdown, it got as far as saying "logging off" but froze there.  

Ran Clean Boot and had same "not responding" issues.  However, No issues in Safe Mode & Safe Mode-Network.  I also Restored to an earlier date (before issue occurred) but that didn't solve the problem.  No driver updates or applications were installed at original time of issue.  Virus protection was on (McAfee Security Center) but could not run full scan due to responding issues and does not work in Safe Mode.

At this point, it's stuck at 1% on the Factory Image Restore and not sure what damage is done by forcing the computer off?  Not to mention not knowing what the issue is to begin with.

2.6K Posts

September 30th, 2013 14:00

Hello GaryLo,

Apologies for the delay in response!

The recovery partition might have been corrupt due to which, it is unable to re-image the computer to factory settings. In such scenarios, we would have to re-install the Operating System Manually. Please refer to this article on How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer and see if that helps. 

**Note: Please backup all the important files and data before re-installing Windows. 

1 Message

December 23rd, 2014 06:00

I have all the same symptoms as this thread, but you did not answer, should we pull the plug on the recovery even though it says "you are not able to cancel this process so that the integrity of your system can be maintained"? I don't want to screw up the entire system? I am also stuck on 1 percent after over 12 hours on this step (formatting your partition step says complete). Please help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 23rd, 2014 07:00

I have all the same symptoms as this thread, but you did not answer, should we pull the plug on the recovery even though it says "you are not able to cancel this process so that the integrity of your system can be maintained"? I don't want to screw up the entire system? I am also stuck on 1 percent after over 12 hours on this step (formatting your partition step says complete). Please help.

Dell DataSafe had many problems which have been addressed in Dell Backup and Recovery. If you are stuck for 12 hours somethings likely corrupt and you should manually clean install. See A Clean Install of Windows:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

September 7th, 2015 14:00

Hi Apcharland,

I am having the exact same problem. How did you get this resolved? Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you!!

July 19th, 2018 14:00

Thanks alot worked on my system aswel restarted and was stuck again on 1% for like 3 minutes then started going up to 100 hopefully now on 40%

No Events found!