Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 28th, 2009 08:00

Dell Datasafe Online Restore

For those of you using Dell DataSafe Online Backup..

You are supposed to be able to log into the web portal and restore your files there.

You select the filesyou wish to restore and save them to a "session". The files will be prepared into a single .zip file and you will be emailed with a link when the files are ready. Currently, I know of three users who gt the error "The file restore failed. please try again." when doing this. You are also supposed to be able to share files with others via email from the same web interface. Whenever these three people try this they get the error "We are sorry we could not deliver your email to the selected recipients at this time."

Datasafe Online is obviously a very broken and expensive product. I find reports like this here and all over the net. There is no actual tech support for the product, if you can even get tech support to understand that you are not talking about your computer's warrnty! Does no one from Dell even monitor these forums for core issues like this and get them addressed? Do they even care? Datasafe is giving them a huge black-eye aound the net....

If anyone else using this service would not mind giving the above steps a try and reporting your results, it would be much appreciated...

12 Posts

August 28th, 2009 20:00

EDIT: Guess I jumped the gun... see below..

As of this evening, it is working for two of three. Likely works for the third as well, just have not gotten a report on it.

It has not worked for a week, so either they just fixed it up today, or there are intermitent outages that three people encountered at similar times. In any case it is working for us again!!

So I guess I should have tested farther before claiming success. Sure, the file restoration process no longer fails as specified in the first post. However, once files are prepared, the service now fails in trying to download the data with errors such as this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

4 Posts

September 14th, 2009 11:00

It appears there is absolutely no support whatsoever for Dell Data Safe? I uninstalled it from my computer, and now I can't even log in to my account, which I paid for. My subscription hasn't even expired. There is no way to actually talk to anyone at Dell either. My laptop is out of warranty but I purchased Dell Data Safe and still the endless frustrations keep continuing. Because of a tech in India who ran the backup while in control of my computer, all my 3192 files are now history. Gone for good. Any recourse? Apparently not. There is no category on Dell's website regarding Data Safe.

It's too bad that a company that used to have such a great reputation has spoiled it by no longer giving customer service to a product that they themselves encourage you to purchase.

I will not be purchasing any Dell product in the future as they have shown a total lack of regard for this customer.

1 Message

September 19th, 2009 11:00

This is exactly the error I am getting.  My laptop got stolen and I am trying to download my files.  I have resorted to using the SHARE function but that seems spotty. I have already spent 3 hours on chat with Dell and $69 and got no answers.  My data will probably disappear in a few days as it was last backed up almost 30 days ago.

Has anyone found a solution for this error message or a work-around?  I would be very grateful.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2009 11:00

This might help since I encountered a few recent problems using this flaky Dell software.  Kept getting a runtime error just backing up so finding this forum and a couple of others also found that Dell provides no intelligent support just FAQs which did not cover my C++ runtime error.  Ran the program before on this XP Pro machine and worked fine.  Then I ran the program on my Win7RC laptop and also ran fine but overwrote all my primary computer's files so figured out the online storage account is only good for one computer only which I eventually found in a FAQ.  Anyway back to the primary computer since I could no longer backup on the XP Pro without the error.  Downloaded and installed latest Microsoft's C++ library files and had no luck.  One of the FAQs had an answer about IE so then remember I recently put IE8 on the XP machine so when I took off IE8 and went back to IE6, the backup worked.  Also found that using IE instead of Firefox I could access my storage files without trouble like I did using Firefox.  So think whatever problems this flaky software has ties in with IE.  Course, Dell could develop a patch or even acknowledge a problem but their lack of support does make me want to cancel this account although from what I read they will never answer back or give a refund for the time not used.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2010 19:00

tunesmith2

wish I could help with your issue, but did want to agree with all of your criticisms of this product.  it took over 3 days to upload my files.  I was so sure this couldn't be right that I tried to contact technical support.  they couldn't even give me a simple assurance that uploading regularly takes this long before first selling me an expensive service contract.

what a contrast to their old advertisements with wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful techies giving free and concise instructions to those who purchased their products and those customers being sooooo grateful and appreciative of the help they received.  what a laugh! 

and datasafe is the worst!  everyday I keep getting the message that an update is available and would I like to download it.  it never fully downloads or if it does my computer is hiding the files somewhere where I can't find them to install.  thank god I haven't had to try to restore anything!  maybe it's best I can't download or install the new version.  from what I'm hearing in many of the posts, the new version is even more problematic.

and no, I don't think dell ever reads these forums unless it's for a good laugh.

best.

carpinus

No Events found!