Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

Dell Dock Crashing

I've been using Dell Dock since I got this computer from Dell about a year ago -- have customized the dock and really am dependent on it.  Today the PC froze on me and I had to unplug it, let it rest, then replug it and reboot.  Now the Dell Dock crashes; the dialog asks it I want to send the error info but when I say yes, it gives another dialog box saying it can't. It tries to reload and crashes again (and again, and again).

I've downloaded the application and now wonder if I should uninstall the original version before trying to install it.  The download said that it would only work as a "reinstall."  Does that mean the old one needs to be left in place?  I'd sure appreciate some advice, as there isn't a support link at www.delldock.com.

Thanks for any help!

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 13:00

Start the install without removing the previous version. The installation process should let you know if you have to uninstall it and might even uninstall it for you.

August 3rd, 2009 14:00

Thanks, Mary.  The install seemed to work, but with the same results.  Dell Dock has to shut down the second it tries to start! I get dialog boxes (Dell Dock needs to close) from both Dell and Windows. 

A computer shut-down and restart didn't help.  This problem began after the computer went into sleep mode and I couldn't "wake" it.  That's why I unplugged it in the first place.  Now I don't even get to the point where I can see that Dell Dock is open.  The crash happens when it tries to load.  It was working this morning, then I left the computer on and went grocery shopping.  Couldn't wake it up when I got home.  I have a lot of stuff that opens at startup, but nothing is new unless it updated itself without my knowledge.  More ideas?  Supposedly it has created an error report, but it can't send it (per one of the Dell dialog boxes).  Is there any way to find the report and if so, anyone to whom I should send it?

Helen (KittyFriend)

August 17th, 2009 23:00

Sorry no help but exactly the same issue. At least you're not alone...if i find anything I'll come back and tell you - if you would do the same please.

November 8th, 2009 14:00

David, I think it works now, after all this time.  I went to the Delldock.com site and downloaded the latest version this afternoon (selected the reinstall option).  This time it seems to have worked.  You might want to try it.  I still haven't found any explanation of the problem, which seems kind of strange, but if it keeps working, I'll be very happy.

November 22nd, 2009 20:00

Confirmed OK - did lose some icons initially but it's still useful so I'm keeping it.

Thanks for getting back to me.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 22:00

I would just like to add my experience:

I started getting BSOD or system freezes within the 1st month of receiving my XPS 16.

At first it seemed to happen most frequently when I'd rest the laptop on my lap.

I suspected and overheat issue, but it also occurred less frequently when laying on a hard surface.

After a couple of months the Dell Dock started failing to startup and no matter what I tried I could NOT get Dell Dock to load.

Now nearly a year later, I have had NO freezes or BSOD until today .. just 2 days after I had a Dell Tech reinstall Dell Dock.

So in my case there seems to be a strong correlation to Dell Dock .. so I will likely uninstall it and find a better alternative.

No Events found!