Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 3rd, 2010 17:00

Dell Dock won't install on old Dell PC.

I downloaded and tried to install Dell Dock on my old Dell system because I love it on my new XPS laptop w/ Win 7.  I'm getting an error that says it can only be installed on a Dell system.  I am trying to install it on a Dell system!!!  I am running Win XP.  It is a 2002 system and I have installed a new hard drive and video card and also added RAM.  When I installed Win XP on the new hard drive, I used the install CD that came w/ the system when I originally purchased it.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 19:00

Maybe it needs XP SP2 or XP SP3

the website doesn't say

http://www.delldock.com/

December 3rd, 2010 20:00

It has SP3.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 4th, 2010 05:00

the downloads on the Dell website work only with Vista

the ones on that other website reportedly works with XP

December 4th, 2010 07:00

The website I tried to download from is www.delldock.com.  What other website are you talking about?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 4th, 2010 12:00

The website I tried to download from is www.delldock.com.  What other website are you talking about?

that's the other website I was referring to

it doesn't say much for them when their Help page doesn't even work

December 6th, 2010 08:00

I was able to install Dell Dock on my Dell mini that is also running Win XP, so I'm not sure what the issue is w/ my old Dell desktop.  Must have something to do with replacing some hardware.  Just a guess.  I really have no clue.

11 Posts

January 10th, 2011 09:00

I have exactly the same problem on my Dimension XPS B series. The installation program does not detect my DELL hardware. I'm running XP SP3.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 12th, 2011 06:00

slls1961,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The website www.delldock.com says that this program works with Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7. You must meet the min. HW requirements of  128mb of ram and 100 mb hd space,

11 Posts

January 12th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for the reply.

The machine satisifes all of the requirements you mention here. As I said, I'm running XP (SP3). I have several GB of available disk and 512MB RAM.

I just wonder how the installer establishes that you are running on Dell hardware. Perhaps my model is considered to be too old (and is not included within the installer's list of valid models?). I'm hoping that there may be a workaround or patch available. I'm really ken to get the dock working on this box.

Regards

Stuart

11 Posts

January 13th, 2011 01:00

I had a browse in the Dell Dock installation directory (Program Files/Dell/DellDock) and noticed an application called DetectOEM. Perhaps that is running but failing to detect my older hardware as actually being Dell hardware. So if the installer and the dock applicatiion calls that then it will not work on my box. Possible?

Can somebody check this out  please and advise?

Thnaks a lot

51 Posts

January 13th, 2011 10:00

StarDock -- www.stardock.com and RocketDock  -- www.rocketdock.com also have docking programs. I believe the DellDock was written by StarDock, although the two programs aren' the same.

Hope this helps

11 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 00:00

I have contacted StarDock regarding the installation of DellDock on an older Dimension.

They replied as follows:

Hello,

The Dell Dock is unfortunately not supported by Stardock. If downloading the latest version from http://www.delldock.com/ does not help, I would suggest contacting Dell, who released and supports this product.

Thank you,

Anthony Towler
Technical Advisor
Stardock Corporation
http://www.stardock.com

Can somebody explain why the program refuses to install on the older Dell hardware? I would very much like to run it.

Many Thanks!

51 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 20:00

Have you replaced any of the original hardware on the computer?

February 3rd, 2011 20:00

I have.  New hard drive and video card.  I had a feeling this was the issuue.  With mine anyway.  You know how I can fix it or am I just outta luck?

11 Posts

February 4th, 2011 01:00

Yes. I increased RAM to max (512MB!) and added a second 40GB hard drive. I also upgraded the graphics and sound cards. This machine runs XP SP3.

Note, that I did more or less the same to my other (much newer) Dimension and the DellDock program works very well (under W7).

Thanks.

No Events found!