The problem is that whenever Dell Support Center tries to do a scheduled PC Checkup scan or whenever I try to access the PC Checkup settings in order to change the schedule, the program crashes. There is no problem when I do a PC Checkup scan manually. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times, but that hasn't fixed the problem for some reason. When I first installed the program, it never had this problem, and so I was able to set up the scanning schedule that it keeps trying to run now (but crashes each time).
I haven't had any problems with Dell Support Center so far except for this one. I'll uninstall it if I have to, but I find some features on it useful.
I'm going to go ahead and uninstall Dell Support Center. It's simply too frustrating having it crash every twenty minutes when there's nothing I can do about it.
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the Dell Support Center. There have been a significant number of updates to the program since you posted this. I see you have since removed the tool though, so you may not have had a chance to see if your problems were fixed in subsequent releases. I hate to think that you aren't able to take advantage of this free application and it's proactive support features.
If you are interested in installing the latest version of DSC3, you may want to perform the following steps:
1. Press the Windows and R keys at the same time (or click START to open the search/run box)
2. Type %appdata% in this box and press enter.
3. Delete the PCDR folder in the window the opens
4. Perform step 1 again.
5. Type %programdata% in the box and press enter.
6. Again, delete the PCDR folder in the explorer window that opens
7. Perform step 1 again.
8.Type %temp% and press enter.
9. If a folder named appup_| exists, delete it.
10. Go to www.dellsupportcenter.com and select your location on the map.
11. Click the "Download now" button to download and run the aulauncher.exe utility which will verify your system meets all the requirements for the application. The utility will download and install the appropriate version of DSC3 for your system.
If you decide to give it another try, please post back and let us know how it turns out!
your directions worked great!
ever since i upgraded to Dell Support Center 3.0 i've had problems with it crashing and refusing to connect with the Support Center on the web. now, after using your directions, DSC3 is working as it should. i'm using an inspiron M5030 running windows7.
thanks for your help.