Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2008 19:00

Dell Support Center Error: Content not available

I got a studio 15 laptop with Vista Home Premium, and the first time I used it, I did not go thru the setup (preferences, acceptance of policies...) of Dell Support Center (with the "wrench" icon), and the next day when I did want to go thru setting it up, I got the message: "Error. Content for the page is not yet available. Please close this program and check again later." It has been a few days now and everytime I open it (it starts with Windows), I get the same error message. I realized something's not right when I created another user and the Dell Support Center that loads with it seems to be fine. Can I uninstall (using Dell Software Uninstall Utility or Vista's Uninstall Utility?) the Dell Support Center with this error or do I have to 'fix' it first so I won't have to worry on additional software problems? If in case I wanna continue using Dell Support Center, how do I fix this error?

Also, I noticed that everytime I log off/ shut down my system, I see an error message right before the system shuts down, it's very quick and it doesn't give me time to read the whole error message so I cannot post it completely here, but it's something about .NET framework, unhandled exception... Does this have something to do with Dell Support Center's error? How do I fix this? Or is there anyway I can 'see' this error message again so maybe I can post it here?

Please help!

1.7K Posts

October 24th, 2008 20:00

Yes, uninstalling and then reinstalling the Dell Support Center software is what you need to do to fix that particular problem.

10 Posts

October 25th, 2008 07:00

Thanks, Larry R! I'll try that later, and report the results back. Do you think that the ".NET framework-unhandled exception" error is related to the Dell Support Center error? Aside from uninstalling Dell Support Center and checking if the error still comes up, is there any way I can read this error message completely? I'm pretty sure I saw a 'details' button on that error message...

10 Posts

October 25th, 2008 14:00

Ok, so I have uninstalled Dell Support Center, which actually worked fine, but I am still seeing the .NET framework error message. And I still can't read it cos it's too fast, it seems to appear only everytime I log off, but not when I restart or shut down.

Thanks for the help again Larry R, I appreciate it.

1.7K Posts

October 27th, 2008 13:00

Check in Event Viewer (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer) to see what the error message is.  It will either be in the System or Applications error logs.  It could be nothing more than you don't have the version of .NET framework that something is looking for.

10 Posts

October 27th, 2008 17:00

Ok, I'm not sure if I got it correctly but I found some things that are marked right about the same time I logged off and these are all under Administrative Events (also under Windows Logs-Application) in the Event Viewer:

1)
Warning-Event 1530-Source: User Profile Service
On the 'General' tab:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-612675022-425411909-899703107-1000_Classes:
Process 1032 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-612675022-425411909-899703107-1000_CLASSES

2)
Same as above, but without the '_Classes' and '_CLASSES' in the DETAIL part

3)
On one of the log offs that I did (I tried several times and marked the time), I also got the below Error in addition to the above Warnings:

Error-Event 4621-Source: EventSystem
On the 'General' tab:
The COM+ Event System could not remove the EventSystem.EventSubscription object {AA44355E-6911-4447-BA5D-6720480579AF}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80070005.

I also noticed that sometimes, the error message won't appear when I log off. I tried the Event Log Online Help link in the Event Viewer, Event 1530 doesn't show any results, and for Event 4621's link, the results don't really show definite explanations, at least in my point of view.

Also, everytime I change the settings or close the Dell Dock (through the software's option or by ending the process through the task manager) before I log off, the error message doesn't appear. Although, by merely ending the process, the error message also doesn't appear. I tried the option to not run the dock at startup, and the error message didn't come when I logged off.

Message Edited by chiccorocks on 10-27-2008 01:39 PM

1.7K Posts

That, unfortunately, I don't know at the moment.  I'm checking with some folks here internally to see what I can find out.  They will probably have some questions for me to ask that will help identify what the problem is.

By the way, is this a new problem after a recent change to the system (e.g., Windows or Dell updates, new software, etc) or has the system always done this?

1.7K Posts

Those errors seem to be that a program is still running when the OS is ready to unload the registry from memory just before it shuts down.  If the only thing you do is shut down the Dell Dock and the errors go away, that is a good indication that is the program that isn't shutting down fast enough (or incorrectly).

10 Posts

Thanks, that's a relief if that's the case. Is there anything I can do so the error message won't come? That is, if I understood correctly, how can I make the Dell Dock shut down fast enough/ correctly?

10 Posts

October 27th, 2008 18:00

Thanks, I'll answer whatever questions as best as I could.

There's not much history on this system yet, it's less than 2 weeks old. It didn't behave like this when I got it, or at least I didn't notice (but I would have noticed), so... Anyway, a day or two after I got it, I have installed like 20 windows updates in 1 shot, VLC, AVG 8.0, Yahoo messenger, updated the flash player, changed some of the shortcuts in Dell Dock, uninstalled Dell Support Center... I think that's it.

Oh, I also stopped a program or two from starting with Windows like the Dell Webcam Central, which I did through the specific softwares' option.

Message Edited by chiccorocks on 10-27-2008 02:25 PM

1.7K Posts

October 27th, 2008 18:00

Have you already tried reinstalling the Dell Dock software?

10 Posts

October 28th, 2008 01:00

Nope, I haven't tried that. Is there a newer version or an update? Should I uninstall and THEN reinstall?

I searched the Drivers and Downloads site and I found this link:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Did I find the right page? Let me just confirm 1 thing, cos I don't want to give myself more things to worry about: when I got the system, it says only 'studio 15', but everytime I restart, I see 'studio 1535', so I searched under that in the Drivers and Downloads section...

Message Edited by chiccorocks on 10-27-2008 09:54 PM

10 Posts

October 28th, 2008 04:00

Btw, I just thought I'd also mention that I did not re-install the Dell Support Center. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

1.7K Posts

October 28th, 2008 14:00

That does appear to be the correct install.  I don't think it will matter that you didn't reinstall Dell Support Center, although you might consider doing so.  I'm not sure if it will help or not.

As for uninstalling first, I would recommend it just be more likely to remove whatever isn't working correctly.

10 Posts

October 29th, 2008 17:00

:smileysad: I've uninstalled and reinstalled... I don't think it worked. I have seen the error message again, although on several occassions, it did not appear. I'll give it some time and report back if the error message still persists. Anyway, if I decide to uninstall it again and just keep it that way, can I delete the folder that was created (C:\Dell\Drivers) when I unzipped the installer that I downloaded?

1.7K Posts

October 29th, 2008 18:00

Yes
No Events found!