Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2008 19:00

Dell Support Center Error: Content not available

I got a studio 15 laptop with Vista Home Premium, and the first time I used it, I did not go thru the setup (preferences, acceptance of policies...) of Dell Support Center (with the "wrench" icon), and the next day when I did want to go thru setting it up, I got the message: "Error. Content for the page is not yet available. Please close this program and check again later." It has been a few days now and everytime I open it (it starts with Windows), I get the same error message. I realized something's not right when I created another user and the Dell Support Center that loads with it seems to be fine. Can I uninstall (using Dell Software Uninstall Utility or Vista's Uninstall Utility?) the Dell Support Center with this error or do I have to 'fix' it first so I won't have to worry on additional software problems? If in case I wanna continue using Dell Support Center, how do I fix this error?

Also, I noticed that everytime I log off/ shut down my system, I see an error message right before the system shuts down, it's very quick and it doesn't give me time to read the whole error message so I cannot post it completely here, but it's something about .NET framework, unhandled exception... Does this have something to do with Dell Support Center's error? How do I fix this? Or is there anyway I can 'see' this error message again so maybe I can post it here?

Please help!

5 Posts

December 4th, 2008 17:00

Hi Larry; I'm running vista ultimate on an xps420 and I'm having the same problem when I click on my Support Center logo; i.e., Error; content for the page...  I've unistalled and reinstalled with McAfee off and run as administrator and still have the same problem. Help please!

1.7K Posts

December 5th, 2008 07:00

If you have already made sure you have .NET 2.0 installed, I'd recommend checkign the support website to make sure you hvae the latest update for the Dell Support Center software.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2008 10:00

Larry, I installed MS .NET framework 3.5 SP1, got the latest download from the dell XPS site (2.8....) and still the same problem. Any suggestions?

1.7K Posts

December 5th, 2008 11:00

But do you have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed?  It is a separate install from the other versions (1.0, 1.1, 3.0, 3.5).

5 Posts

December 5th, 2008 14:00

No!!  I guess I should uninstall 3.5 before installing 2.0. However, when I looked at the install notes for 2.0 it didn't mention Vista as an approved operating system. Does that matter?

5 Posts

December 7th, 2008 11:00

Installed 2.0 with sp and later 3.0. In all instances I get the same error. Oh well, I'll just have to live without Dell Support Center.

66 Posts

December 8th, 2008 10:00

Hi,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop, lately I have been getting the following error message:0F00:0244 and 0F00:1A44 Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.  I have ran the Dell diagnostics and the only failures were on the HDD read test and the verify test.  I also ran the check disk and this found a lot of drive errors.  What I need to know is if I need a new HDD or not.  Thanks

Martin

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 10:00

If you haven't already done so, try uninstalling the Dell Support Center software, rebooting the computer, and then reinstalling DSC.  If the .NET 2 installation didn't fix it, everything I've seen says the reinstall should.  If it doesn't fix it let me know, however, and I'll bug the programmers again. ;)

78 Posts

December 9th, 2008 02:00

hi, i also have had this problem.  i had a new studio 1535 in sept then a new 1537 in nov both machines always flashed this error message. i had vista sp1 premium.  how do see these messages and stop them flashing past.  nothing seems to fix it.  i was told it might be the windows update so that was set to advise updates were ready not the automatic update that is recommended.

all i ever installed was avg and my printer so i thought it was this that caused it but never found out.  i rec'd norton as a trial and uninstalled it but always thought maybe that caused a problem (things left or whatever) but 3.5 .net framework didn't fix anything. can't recall 2 being installed.

both these machines had other problems with touchpad, eject light coming on and staying on, media keys not working.  had os and hard drive wiped bsod crashing etc on both and both have been returned.

i have a new 1537 delivered yesterday and again the eject button is on from a cold start but i haven't uninstalled anything yet as i don't want to see any error messages.  just couldn't face it.  i'll have an unhandled exception if i see it!!

anyway as you can imagine i've had my share of problems and time spent with dell support but i just want a laptop that works so i'm keen to find out what causes them and the remedy for these errors so i don't do it!

78 Posts

December 9th, 2008 02:00

one other point was that the two previous laptops both had bios a03 installed.  the only update available was bios a05 which both were updated with by support tech but i notice this new one has bios a04.  don't know why this is or if it would fix the problem.

i am kinda waiting for this error to surface as it's happened before but hopefully not. will keep you posted and if anyone knows a fix for the eject button that'd be fantastic!!

1.7K Posts

December 9th, 2008 07:00

Simonscowl, my understanding is that an uninstall-reboot-reinstall of DSC fixes that particular problem.

[EDIT]  BTW, what version of DSC are you running right now?  My understanding was a recent patch to the program fixed the problem (which is why downloading and reinstalling should fix it) but if you already have the latest version the programmers will want to know.

78 Posts

December 11th, 2008 00:00

hi dsc 2.2.08267.  haven't seen .net framework error on this 3days old 1537 studio vista premium so hopefully fixed.

however i have the other problems of eject light coming on and staying on from cold power on but goes out after several minutes. while it is on no other media keys work until this light goes out.  i also get intermittent problem with on/off sound media key which won't function.  worse still the cd/dvd rom worked for about 10 mins then made horrible sound and i coudn't eject the cd.  eventually noise stopped but nothing will play now in dvd/cd and it keeps telling me to put in a cd/dvd (i do but makes no difference).

also receive error that dell dock has encountered a problem when i close down, usually just flashes past but once it stayed long enough for me to read.

dell chat is closed for 2 wks so no help there. i've sent email to support but usually don't receive a reply.

cant understand why i've had 3 machines with problems from opening the box.  surely can't just be my bad luck there must be a faulty batch, one engineer who came to replace my optical drive on last 1537 said that he'd done several all on new studios.

1.7K Posts

December 11th, 2008 07:00

Simonscowl, if you could PM me (click my avatar and look for the "Send Message" button on the left of the profile page) your service tag and the value of the following registry key (the value of Profile in HKCU\Software\Supportsoft\ProviderList\DellSupportCenter\users\ ) I would very much appreciate it.  The software engineers requested the info to try and track down what is causing the problems.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2008 13:00

Hi simonscowl, we had the same problem on Inspiron 1525 with dvd drive making grinding noise and not being able to play music or movies from the time it was first delivered.  Last week I contacted Dell Support via chat session regarding the problem.  Was told the drive may not be seated corrected, so I removed the screw, removed the drive and reinserted it, but without success.  Dell sent a replacement a few days ago, which works fine.  I am now able to listen to music and watch movies.  You might try giving them a call or starting a chat session. 

Thanks.

1.7K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

For those of you still getting the "content cannot be displayed" error, can you let me know if you do not have Roxio installed?  The software folks let me know that they found a Roxio patch for the Dell installed version of Creator 9.x that is supposed to fix the problem (when caused by the Roxio software).

Can those of you with Roxio and still having the problem post back with whether this fixes things for you or not?  Thank you.

No Events found!