Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 1st, 2012 15:00

Dell Support System not working at all

The Dell Support Center has stopped working. For a few days, I've been getting the error message that the Dell Support System is not working and that Windows is checking for a solution. My computer started slowing down about the same time that I started getting this error message. Today, I tried downloading it from the Dell site, but the downloaded wouldn't open.  Nor would the Dell PC Diagnostics. I'm now running the Iola scan, even though I've never heard of this before. Is this problem being experienced by other Dell users. I have the Studio 17, W7 OS. Any help appreciated. I'll check back to see if there are any remarks or solutions other Dell users can offer. Thanks.

Marian Designs

2.6K Posts

September 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi Marian,

We would have to uninstall the Dell Support Center and then re-install it.
To Uninstall the Dell Support Center,
-- Click Start.
-- Control Panel.
-- Program and Features.
-- Uninstall the Dell Support Center.
-- Restart the computer.

To Reinstall the Dell Support Center,
-- Click the link mentioned below to download and install the Dell Support Center.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/services/en/dsc_home?c=us&l=en&s=gen
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality.
Do reply with results would be glad to help.

September 2nd, 2012 00:00

Actually, it's the Dell PC Diagnostics that is not working. I have the Support Center. Sorry I wrote the wrong thing. It's been a hard day. That Iola thing is for a paid service!! I wish Dell wouldn't do that. Anyway, still will be appreciative of help.

Cheers,

Marian

1 Message

September 2nd, 2012 14:00

I had a similar problem, Dell PC diagnostics gave me an error message essentially that it was already running and I could not download the diagnostic, my solution was to perform a system restore using the last restore point. Everything worked, have you installed any new software recently? That was my problem.

2.6K Posts

September 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi Marian,

As rightly said by zeitlerd22, system restore can be tried.
In case if there was recent software installed or any updates, it could have caused this issue.
The link mentioned below would give the steps to perform the system restore.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=266590&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

Also please confirm if you are trying to run the PC Diagnostics online from dell support site or have you installed any other software in the computer. In Dell Support Center, there is a feature “PC Checkup”, using which one can run diagnostics on the computer.

Do reply with results.

October 19th, 2012 13:00

Hi, Allan--

Sorry I didn't get back to you before. I just got a link to a new post, so I came to the site. The support center takes me to the Dell site where a general scan takes place. What I used to have is  PC Diagnostics that would automatically appear and I could run tests on the various parts of the computer to see that it was working well. That doesn't happen any more.

I don't have a program installed on my computer called PC Diagnostics. If it's not a part of the Support Center, then I don't seem to have it any more.

I've had horrible experiences with system restore in the past, so I don't trust it at all and don't want to use it.

Marian

10 Posts

October 19th, 2012 13:00

My PC diagnostics has stopped working too - Vostro 460

Uninstalled and re-installed  but still wouldn't work - Then windows wouldn't shut down!

Uninstalled and now windows closes as normal.

Even though I have next day onsite warranty as this is software - DELLS SOFTWARE they don't want to know.

Any ideas or should I just live without it and never but DELL again as whats the point if the after sales support is poor?

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 06:00

Hello Maria,

There are 2 way through which you may run PC Diagnostics.
1. PC check up through Support Center.
Refer to the Link mentioned below to run the PC check up. 
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=388104

2. Dell PC Diagnostics.
Refer to the link mentioned below to run the Dell PC diagnostics.
http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19/
-- Click  Run Diagnostics and it would initiate the PC Diagnostics.

Please write back to us if you have any further question. 

No Events found!