Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2020 15:00

Dell Update Application broken

I recently updated the Dell Update Application on my Dell Inspiron 3670 desktop PC, and now when I run it and click on CHECK it hangs with the Warning: An operation is currently in progress. Please wait until it completes.
The progress bar is stuck on "Operation is 40% completed..." I've tried restarting my computer several times, but
it still does this. Is there some way to repair or remove/reinstall this application to fix it ?

August 30th, 2020 15:00

@DELL-Cares Here is what I tried, as you suggested. I've done this twice, the 2nd time a few minutes ago:  "updating the drivers using Dell support assist application. Once you finish updating all drivers and windows updates, try uninstalling the command update application and install it again from Dell support website".

• 

25K Posts

August 30th, 2020 17:00

This will be fixed in the next version of DCU. Meanwhile, the workaround for this issue is to ensure the user launches DCU as an Administrator. If you use the application as an Admin, then the settings are retained:

You can do this using any of the following methods:

• Always open the utility with admin rights, by navigating to the exe file in File Manager. Right-click on the exe file and open propertiesand go to the compatibility Tick the check box next to Run this program as an administrator and click Apply and OK
  • Run the utility as admin from a Command Line by using the following commands and pressing Enterin Command Prompt or PowerShell:

runas /user:

• Run the utility as admin from the moremenu in the Start Menu
  • Run the utility as admin by using CTRL+SHIFT+Clickingon the Start Menu tile
  • Run the utility as admin by right-clicking on the Desktopshortcut
  • Run the utility as admin by right-clicking on the Taskbarshortcut
  • Run the utility as admin by right-clicking the exe file in File Manager
  • Run the utility as admin by clicking the exe file in File Managerand then using the manage ribbon
  • Run the utility as admin by running a start menu searchand right-clicking on the correct result
  • Run the utility as admin by typing in the exe file name in a Run boxand holding down the CTRL+SHIFT while you click OK
  • Run the utility as admin by clicking the File -> Run new task.Type in the exe file location and tick the check box next to Create this task with Administrative privileges and click OK

August 30th, 2020 17:00

I was already logged in as an Admin. Furthermore, I restarted my computer, and then ran the DCU app as an Administrator. Still having same problem--still stuck at "Operation in progress", "Operation is 10% completed". So that work-around doesn't work-around.  I guess we'll just have to wait for the program to be fixed. Let me know if you want to connect to my computer to confirm or check anything.

• 

25K Posts

August 30th, 2020 19:00

I suggest we wait for the next update to get this fixed.

2 Posts

August 31st, 2020 13:00

same problem here.  uninstalled, run as admin, blah blah blah.  still stuck at 10%

there are two differences on my machine:

1)  I tried just "Dell Update" and it said it is not compatible with my machine.  The problem is with "Dell Command Update 3.1.3"

2)  In the control panel and/or "add/remove programs", I don't have a "repair" option.  Only "uninstall"

5 Posts

September 1st, 2020 14:00

This does not work for me....

September 2nd, 2020 10:00

Uninstalled every Dell application from my laptop, removed both Dell folders under Program Files and Program Files (x86), removed the Dell folder under the HKLM\Software in the registry, and rebooted.

Reinstalled the latest Dell Update for Windows 10 by right-clicking the install program and choosing Run As Administrator

Started the Dell Update app as Administrator.

Works now!   Hope this works for your too!

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 15:00

update on my side in case anyone from dell is monitoring this.  i completely uninstalled and wiped all folders off my machine for anything dell command update related, then was able to install dell update, which i read on another thread is apparently the exact same thing as dell update, but just with a different name.  i rebooted, installed dell update instead of dell command update, but not that it's a surprise, this did nothing and i still get stuck at 10%.  there is nothing in the kb, so it's possible dell isn't even aware of the issue.

for now support.dell.com works but that usually gives me different results than dell command update.  i've had different people from dell tell me each one is the preferred method and the other method doesn't work as well, so i just use both.  the support.dell.com team is an entirely different engineering team than the "dell update/dell command update" team, so they appear to both do their own thing.  not sure why they have two different names for the dell command update/dell update though.

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 23:00

Update, got it working in the end.....

1. it all went wrong in v3.1.2

2. update to v3.1.3 did not help.

3. uninstalled Dell Command v3.1.3

4. uninstalled Dell Optimizer Application v6.3.2

5. installed Dell Command | Update for Windows 10 v3.1.0

6. installed Precision optimizer Application v6.4.5

This worked for me. ....

4 Posts

September 5th, 2020 12:00

Dell Update stuck at 40% - I found a very simple fix, hope it works for you.

I just restarted my computer and ran Dell Update a 2nd time and it finds an update for "Dell Update", that is ironic. I ran a 3rd time and it gave the system is up-to-date message.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2020 07:00

I have the same problem with dell ispiron 7777 destop. I am very angry, IThink I'm selling the pc because I can't solve it!

6 Posts

September 6th, 2020 09:00

I have the same problem. Reinstall didn't help me.

4 Posts

September 7th, 2020 06:00

to me happened after installing the 2004 build of windows 10. it's going to be a case..

1 Message

September 7th, 2020 15:00

Hi @DELL-Cares,

Same issue here, XPS 8930. I'd love to hear when this is fixed.

Thank you

1 Message

September 9th, 2020 11:00

Hey guys...  I tried everything here and the 1 thing that seems to have worked is type Dell Update in the search box but instead of running the program select “run as administrator”.  Doing that allowed it to run without the error and it found an assist update so maybe this is the fix we have been waiting on. 

No Events found!