Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 15th, 2011 16:00

Dell Webcam Central "Check for Software Update" feature is failing

Dell Studio 1745

Windows 7 64 bit

Dell Webcam Central 1.40.35

DWC and integrated web cam are working fine, however, I am trying to use Check for Software Updates feature (I believe v2.x is available out there somewhere) and get the following:

Go to ?->Check for Software Update...

Get Windows security message, click OK.

Get what appears to be an IE window with the following text:

ActiveX control failed to load! -- Please check browser
security settings or ensure that you have administrator rights.

Please set any installed pop-up blockers to allow
pop-ups from this site in order to use the AutoUpdate service.

I am logged in as an admin and have gone though all my active x settings and don't see anything amiss.  I have also tried going to the URL (http://www.creative.com/su/product.asp?hdAllProduct=0&hdAppName=Dell%20Webcam%20Central&hdAppLangID=1033&hdProductID=&hdDspLangID=1033&sDestUrl=&sRef=&OCXType=&sRefRegion=CLI&NOMNL=1) in Firefox, but get the same messages.

Can anyone with this software give the feature a try and see if it works for them?  If so, any suggestions on getting it to work here?  If not, is there any other way to get the updated version?

Want to try the updated software to see if will recognize the audio from my Sabrent video capture device, so that I can use Web Central as my recording software.  Does a really good job with the video portion.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 16th, 2011 05:00

ipsc_dvc,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You will need to get the webcam central version 2.0 from Dell Downloads. The link is below.

My Dell Downloads

You must do the following:

Creat an Account:

1. On the sign-on page click New User Sign-Up and the Sign Up For your New Account page will be displayed.

2. Fill in the form with unique user name, password, email address, security question and answer to this security question.

3. Question is asked after clicking Lost Password.

4. Click Submit.

5. Registration confirmation will be sent to email entered during registration.

Register:

Your first system will be registered by clicking Register New System on the
Register System page. This starts the process that automatically registers your
system.
Additional systems can be registered on your Systems page by clicking
Register New System.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2011 06:00

Thank you for your prompt response.  I tried that, but it only lists the versions of software that were shipped with my PC.  Dell Webcam Central 1.4 is the version listed there, and that is the version I already have.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2011 14:00

I spent over 2 hours on line with Dell chat and they were not able to fix the active control error for the Dell Webcam Centeral.  They uninstalled and reinstalled the software, checked all the security settings ran a program to check of errors and in the end when you try to update the Dell Webcam Centeral program you get this message:

Today I unistalled the Dell Webcam and went on line to reinstalled the software..On the software list for my computer I downloaded the version that had the most recent update in 2011.  There was an earlier version that I didnt try.   After downloading and restarting the computer I opened up the program and recieved a message saying a new version was avialable (there was no newer version shown in the software list.  I tried to updated but got the same message above.  

I have spent a lot  of time trying to figure this out without seccuss.  The Dell agent that I worked with on this problem suggested that the only way to fix this issue maybe to do a total system recovery and start over.  I dont what to do that because I have just got this computer setup...and dont what to go through the hassel of reloading all of my programs...  

7 Posts

December 18th, 2011 10:00

For kicks and giggles, I tried using the upgrade link on my work PC that has an older version of IE installed... 7, I think.  And wouldn't you know it, the active x control worked fine. Firefox failed, just like on my Dell.   The update app tries to install a .cab file and something else.  I have a feeling that type of operation is just completely prohibited on new versions of IE and Firefox as being too risky.  So, don't bother with system recovery... the problem has nothing to do with that and will not solve the issue.  I don't kow why Dell just can't obtain the most recent version of the software from Creative, and post it for download along with the other driver/utility updates.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2011 12:00

Thanks....and I agree this apprears to be an issue on Dell's end.  Hopefully they will fix it.  All other Dell perload programs updated fine. So it something in there Webcam Central.  

1 Message

March 19th, 2012 22:00

please give me linux os for my system............

1 Message

May 29th, 2012 12:00

What is the best software for video capture?

1 Message

June 6th, 2012 05:00

Try with this software http://www.videocapx.com/

No Events found!