Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

December 10th, 2021 08:00

Dell techs unable to activate Office 2021 and wont refund

Just bought an Inspiron 3000 laptop with MS home and office 2021 "preinstalled".  I already had a MS account and used the same email for the purchase.  It never activated.  Spent 4 hours with 2 different techs who only seemed capable of reinstalling office multiple times, downloading office again, checking my dell digital locker (empty), my MS account (again no record). The last tech even contacted MS help and argued with them before ending my session abruptly.  Add I need is a activation key which they are incapable of providing (or finding).  They said it was in the box (no), in an email (no). They don't even know it's a digital key and that it's supposed to auto install when I log into MS!  Now I have an email from Dell saying they can't help me, yet they won't refund the $99 I paid, they keep sending me back to a tech.  You'd think they would cut their losses as they already spent more than that making sure I'll never buy another Dell product again.

So session #3 with a "senior" tech didn't occur as they called 1/2 hour early so I couldn't get to the phone, and they didn't leave a direct # to call so I had to go thru the entire menu system again!  Now I'm waiting yet again.  This goes beyond the absurd.  And it seems like I'm not the only one who still has this unresolved issue recently if you search other topics.

1 Message

January 26th, 2022 09:00

Not isolated to Windows 11.  I am on Windows 10 with the same issue on 2 brand new XPS machines.  This is ridiculous.  Microsoft is the issue!

Update-Resolved-issue resolved after trying multiple times. no further action needed

5 Posts

December 10th, 2021 10:00

Seems Dell reads these as I got a private message response. Unfortunately it's the same run around as before (open word and activate, login to MS, etc) same things the techs did multiple times. And the same we don't refund software purchases - even though we can't  activate office which you paid for so it's your fault naïve consumer.  There's apparently no one with the authority to resolve this issue, so buyer beware.  And I'm still waiting for a call back from a "senior" tech like they promised so another 2 hours wasted dealing with this company.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2021 12:00

Finally after 3 hours with Dell again and then back to MS they solved the issue.  Somehow the wrong version of office was installed, but I swear the first tech did that. Anyway Dell and MS are aware of the issue. Better yet never buy software thru Dell.  As I found out if you want to upgrade you can't get a refund.  Dell told me Office Home and Student 2021 included Outlook. It does not so after all that I had to buy it anyway. 

1 Message

January 4th, 2022 06:00

Hi mate, I'm facing the same issue right now. Office for some reason does not activate. Can you guide me through what you did or will I have to contact support?

5 Posts

January 4th, 2022 09:00

You'll need to contact dell support.  The issue is windows 11 so Microsoft maybe involved too.  But Dell should be well aware of the issue by now I spoke to several managers afterwards.  But they only offered apologies for all my frustrations. 

• 

25.1K Posts

January 26th, 2022 09:00

Hello, we see you are looking for assistance. Click our DELL-Cares username, on the right click, "Send this user a private message". Provide to us the private Dell PC Service Tag. If you need assistance finding your Service Tag, click here.

No Events found!