Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2014 07:00

Disabling Dell Backup & Recovery Notifications

We have a number of new PCs (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit) all of which have Dell Backup & Recovery installed. Now I take it that completely uninstalling this is not a great idea because of the way it is heavily tied in to doing system recovery/restores? So, how the to I turn of it's  annoying notifications! I do NOT want to hear/see anything from this bit of software! Especially as most of the notifications are "nags" about "try our cloud services" (I do NOT want them), or "upgrade to the pro version" (NOT a chance). They are notifications only in so much as they are trying to sell me   I do not want.

24 Posts

June 19th, 2014 07:00

Hi, Due to the issues on contacting you on here I called Technical Support this morning (Dell Case Ref: 895569609). They were able to confirm that, having created recovery media on USB memory keys, there was no reason why I could not just go ahead and uninstall Dell Backup & Recovery. They also confirmed that when accessing Backup & Recovery via the Windows startup troubleshooting menu (accessed via F8 as Windows starts up), this was run from the hidden recovery partition and not affected by uninstalling the software from Windows itself. So that is what I have went ahead and done to get rid of the notifications. Regards George

24 Posts

August 22nd, 2014 05:00

While I have found the notifications VERY VERY annoying, along with the fact that on one of our machines there was a clash between the trial version of McAfee and Dell Backup & Recovery, I would disagree with most of your points.

1. Many home users may well never remove it, but that is more down to their lack of knowledge. For that I blame the IT software industry as a whole and Microsoft in particular for "dumbing down" PCs tremendously. I've had to look at quite a number of PCs (laptops and desktops) belonging to colleagues, friends etc where they have been thinking of getting a new PC because their current one was running very slowly. 99% of the time it is for lack of basic maintenance - like doing disk clean-ups and defrags. Do the basic maintenance and they speed up dramatically. The other factor is all of the "foist-ware" - almost everything from Adobe Reader, Flash, Java tries to get you to install something else along with it. A further factor is all the websites with good useful software on them where the link to download it is buried thanks to all the big bright "DOWNLOAD ME!" and "FREE TO DOWNLOAD!!!!" links which are actually ads for software - typically the likes of download "managers" you don't need and "tune-up" software that does nothing unless you part with money and then usually does more harm than good.

2. The ONLY reason you need the Dell Backup & Recover software as installed in Windows is to create the INITIAL RECOVERY IMAGE. Once you've created the recovery image on a USB stick, Dell Backup & Recovery serves no other use and can be completely uninstalled.

3. You DO NOT need to have Dell Backup & Recovery to do a system restore as shipped from the factory. The restore you do by hitting F8 before Windows starts and using the recovery option there uses a version of Backup & Recovery ON THE HIDDEN RECOVERY PARTITION - NOT the one installed in Windows.

4. The Recovery Image you create on the USB stick is bootable, so again if you do a recovery from that - as would have to do if your hard drive died - boots and uses a version of Backup & Recovery ON THE USB STICK. So, which ever way you look at it, once you create the backup Recovery Image on a USB stick, Dell Backup & Recovery can be ripped out by uninstalling it completely. Notification problem solved. I have to say in Dell's defence that this dependency on the Recovery Image, and therefore the Dell Backup & Recovery utility, is really because that is what Microsoft demanded. It is Microsoft's way of cutting down on pirated copies of Windows 7 (nice) and 8/8.1 (YUK!). They insist that PC manufacturers, such as Dell, ship machines with Windows pre-installed and activated, LOCKED to that machine. AS IS THE RECOVERY IMAGE. No install CD/DVD, no product key, therefore of no use on any other machine and no pirate copies. Personally I don't like this as I have to spend time ripping out all the stuff I don't want from the factory image before I can start configuring a new machine, but that is they way things are these days and there is not a lot I can do about it. Unless I buy PCs with blank hard drives and sign up to a Volume License Agreement (VLA) with Microsoft to install my own licensed copies of Windows using the MSDN DVDs.

P.S. I LOATH Windows 8/8.1 yet Microsoft are bent on forcing everyone to use that OS..... Yet another bit of "dumbed down user" software.

P.P.S. I also detest this forum software - I format my post nicely and it makes a complete dog's dinner of it.

3 Apprentice

• 

39 Posts

June 13th, 2014 08:00

Hi george.h,

When you get these popups, ideally you will have an option to disable the notifications. However, try disabling the application from start up items. Let me know if you have any further questions.

24 Posts

June 16th, 2014 02:00

Hi, There may be such an option on the Premium (paid for) version, but there certainly is not on the standard one which comes pre-installed. Neither does it appear in ANY of the Startup folders. I've checked under Default, Administrator and my own login under Users >> AppData etc and no shortcut to Dell Backup & Recovery at all. So, IS there a way to disable these annoying notifications? Or is the simplest solution just to rip it out completely and bin it? Frankly, apart from it being necessary for creating recovery media, it is pretty dire.....

24 Posts

June 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi, I got the clear impression when I created the factory restore images for our 6 machines on USB memory sticks that uninstalling Backup & Recovery might be a bad idea. I'll PM the service tags of the six machines in question. I'll have to check the BIOS revisions and version of Backup & Recovery on each. Regards George

3 Apprentice

• 

39 Posts

June 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi george.h,

We would not suggest you to uninstall the application. Following are the advantages of having Dell Backup and Recovery on the system-

•Create reinstall disks (rescue disks) for your device

•Reset your device to the original factory state

•Manually backup and restore your data.

So if we uninstall the application all of the above won’t work. Please private message the Service tag, BIOS version, Dell Backup and Recovery version and the Operating system running on the computer, I will let you know how to disable the notifications. To send a private message, click on my user name and select "start conversation".

24 Posts

June 17th, 2014 08:00

Hi, I've tried sending a private message to you three times now all with the same result. After I click on Send Message I just get the "rotating wait/busy" icon for several minutes (not a few seconds) before I give up and close the dialogue. Regards George

3 Apprentice

• 

39 Posts

June 17th, 2014 08:00

Hi george.h,

If you are unable to send private message,please click on my name and select send an email.If that doesn't work try an alternate browser.Let me know the outcome.

24 Posts

June 19th, 2014 03:00

Hi, I'll try again with the PM, although if that still doesn't work then I think Dell have an issue that trying a different browser is not an answer to as I'm using IE11!. Regards George

24 Posts

June 19th, 2014 03:00

Sorry - but hovering over you name or clicking on it bring no option to send and email - only send a private message, which still doesn't work.

3 Apprentice

• 

39 Posts

June 19th, 2014 08:00

Thank you for the update,any issues please fell free to reach out.

13 Posts

August 3rd, 2018 06:00

Is there a way I can disable DBR and DBR Sync? When I am doing development on my laptop I do not want these processes to hog memory. As of now I have renames the exe to txt file so the system cannot run the process and when required I rename them back. PLease guide me

No Events found!