Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 2nd, 2015 14:00

E-mail frustrations

Hello, I recently bought  a Dell Inspiron 3646 and it uses the Windows 8.1 as it's operating system. I don't  know very much about computer's and their OS's, but I've been trying to set up my e-mail using the ISP  that I've had for 8 years. I've called Dell fives times in the past week and a half asking for help in setting it up and have spoke to just as many software tech's and each had a different opinion on how to do it! The one I spoke to today told me flat out I couldn't use my old ISP  that I had to use the Windows Live e-mail program that came with the computer. One of the tech's had asked to get some information from my ISP , like the incoming mail server and the outgoing mail server as well as which ports to use. He said he would call me the following night but he never called. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the ISP I had before, or am I stuck with the Windows Live? I just bought the computer about a month ago and I've gotten so frustrated with everything I'm ready to return if i can so if anyone can help please do so. Thank you

• 

16.7K Posts

February 3rd, 2015 11:00

Scorpio012,

I do not know if you were using outlook with your last computer to send/receive emails from your isp. If so, you would need to install Office to get Outlook. Microsoft Windows 8.1 uses Windows Mail. You can click the link below to setup your email using your ISP settings.

Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish

Click the link below for more information on setting up email in Windows 8.1

Using email accounts over POP on Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

36 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 12:00

Jesse, Thank you for your help. My old computer was a Dell Optiplex260 and the OS was Windows XP. I was using Outlook Express for my e-mail. I understand that Outlook Express is no longer available. As I said in my original post I was told by at least five of the software tech's that when I clicked on the mail tile on the start page it would take me to Windows Mail and that using my old ISP(NittanyMedia,Inc) was no longer possible and I'm stuck with Windows Mail. Although one of the tech's did ask me to contact my ISP to find out the incoming and outgoing server addresses and which ports they use. I had contacted them and got the information asked for, but the tech never called me back the next night as promised. I spoke to another tech yesterday and he said that he would have the tech who had asked for the info from my ISP call me last night, but again no phone call!! If I'm reading your reply right you're saying that it is possible to use my old ISP? Thank you for your help.

36 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 14:00

Jesse I read and followed the steps outlined in that tutorial, but a message came up saying that they still couldn't find the settings for the e-mail account I was trying to add?? 

No Events found!