I have gotten the Windows login to work but still can not get the web login feature to work. I have windows 7 and IE8, i've tried playing witht the security settings but if there is something specifically I need to do, i'm not sure.
Make sure that the "Add-On" that FastAccess uses to interact with IE is both present and enabled. To do this, in IE go to Tools > Manage Add-ons. The one that you want to be there is called either "FAIESSOHelper Class" or "SSOIEAddonBHO Class". If any other program (or something like "In-Private" browsing) happened to disable this Add-on, then interaction between FastAccess and IE would not be possible until it's turned back on.
For further details, see FAQ #18 on page #11 of this FAQ:
FAIESSOHelper is present and enabled. I reviewed the FAQ and none shed any light on my problem.
When I go to enable the web log-in function in the settings it will not stay selected (meaning I select the box and save settings but when I go back it is unselected again.
Thank you for your assistance.
No problem. Sorry that the obvious answer wasn't the right one.
What version of FastAccess are you running? 2.4.7 is required for Win7 compatibility. Right click the FA icon in the system tray and choose "About".
If you're already on 2.4.7, then as obvious as it sounds I'd actually recommend a de-install and re-install. I've never personally seen the symptom that you describe where the setting won't stay selected so there may be something that was corrupted with the installation itself.
Just to confirm as well, you're logging in with an account that has administrative rights, correct?
I am running 2.4.7 and have tried re-installing once already, that fixed the problem when it was not working at all; as I say now it's just the web login that won't work. and yes I am logging in as an administrator.
I'll try re-install again...
Let me know how it goes.
Random question - what anti-virus are you running? It might be worth disabling it when doing the re-install on the off chance that it's incorrectly identifying a FastAccess component as malicious and damaging the install somehow. This is just a theory for now, but it would explain things if multiple re-installs end up having the same issue. Believe me, I've seen stranger things....
OK disabled McAfee anti-virus and did the full uninstall / re-install, same results: No web-login feature working...is there something ridiculously simple that I need to "turn-on" or enable or needs to be done to get web-login working. Again strange thing is when I first received the computer from Dell everything worked fine, no idea what has changed. and yes checked the add-on after re-install and it is there and enabled.
Frustrating, thank you for your continued assistance.
Thanks for doing the additional checking. Sorry for the frustration. Sadly, if there was something "ridiculously simple" to suggest, I would have already suggested it.
My last question for now is, are you running IE 32bit or 64bit? The former is supported, the latter is not.
If that doesn't do it, send me a private message and I may be able to provide additional support through normal email. Of course anything that we learn together I would be happy to share back here on the forum.
Don't know how or why or what was the exact resolution but I just switched from McAfee to Norton security and now everything works fine....
That is indeed interesting. Thank you very much for sharing the resolution. What really confuses me is why disabling McAffee didn't improve the situation, but de-installing it did. Regardless, I will suggest to our testing team that we replicate your setup for further investigation. If I find anything relevant I'll share it back here, but thanks again for the good work.