Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DP

December 21st, 2016 00:00

File format error in Excel

Hi Folks,

Error ‘finance..xlsx: file format is not valid’ is occurring whenever I am trying to open the file. I Opened MS Excel and selected the open to repair by the open and repair. I clicked on Repair button to fix it but again got the same error message. This time the error message was not closing after pressing OK button. I opened the task manager and ended the process from there. I have no idea what is wrong in the file because it was working fine at the before.

December 21st, 2016 01:00

HI Robin,

Office 2016. Excel file is created in the same version.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2016 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Can you please let us know the current version on Microsoft office on the system and also let us know the file that you are trying to open was created on which version of MS Office. Also check if this happens with just one file .

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

1 Message

December 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi Dazy,

Are you able to open other documents of MS Office?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Can you please let us know if this happens with just one file or all the file. As this a Microsoft product we would have very limited support regarding this.

Thanks

Robin

December 22nd, 2016 21:00

@SeanSmith45 and @Robin , I am able to open other files of MS Office expect that only one corrupt file. After two days, I didn't find or get the solution to fix my problem.

I also received an answer though the notification from Dell. A user suggested me to try Excel repair software: www.stellarinfo.com/repair-excel-file.php and I downloaded it. In free of cost I was able to see the preview of my file but I am looking for manual or free solutions.

December 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hi,

As this is a corrupted file, you can contact Microsoft to check if they would be able to help you recover this for you, as we have limited expertise on Microsoft products.

35 Posts

April 14th, 2017 22:00

Hello folks,

Generally this type of error occurs when the actual excel file’s format is not recognized by the software and in this case it become invalid. So if the open and repair utility is not working then in this case try to change the actual file extension of your excel sheet. As it is seen that the problem occurs due to the unsupported file extension of your excel file. Check the file extension and if it is the case then rename it ‘.xlsx’ to ‘.xls’.

Hope this will help you to fix the error but if still you face the same error, then make use of the third party MS Excel Repair tool. This is an efficient tool as this is designed in a way to fix any sort of error, corruption, damage in the excel file. So try this once.   Good Luck!!!

No Events found!