Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2009 06:00

How do I transfer Office xp to a new computer?

I have an OEM version of Office XP that I bought preinstalled on a Dell Dimension computer.  That computer has served me well, but it's dying, and I'm phasing it out in favor of a new Dell desktop.  I want to uninstall Office from that PC and install it on an Acer laptop that I was given for Christmas.  I don't understand Microsoft's validation process very well.  Can anyone tell me what to expect when I try this? Do you have any tips for me? 

I have my Office-XP CD and key code.  First, do I have to uninstall on the old before I reinstall on the new, or can I wait until I'm comfortable that I've been successful in getting it running on the laptop?   As info, the old computer OS is XP-home; the laptop OS is Vista Home Premium (32-bit).

Thanks for any guidance!

1.6K Posts

January 5th, 2009 06:00

With most copies of Office, two installs are allowed - you should be able to intall and activate without issue as long as you've not installed it other than on the original system.

2.9K Posts

January 5th, 2009 07:00

"With most copies of Office, two installs are allowed" - BUT NOT with OEM versions. You might get lucky and be able to activate it on a second machine, but the odds may be slim. See this MS article.

January 5th, 2009 08:00

I have an OEM version of Office XP that I bought preinstalled on a Dell Dimension computer.  That computer has served me well, but it's dying, and I'm phasing it out in favor of a new Dell desktop.  I want to uninstall Office from that PC and install it on an Acer laptop that I was given for Christmas.  I don't understand Microsoft's validation process very well.  Can anyone tell me what to expect when I try this? Do you have any tips for me? 

I have my Office-XP CD and key code.  First, do I have to uninstall on the old before I reinstall on the new, or can I wait until I'm comfortable that I've been successful in getting it running on the laptop?   As info, the old computer OS is XP-home; the laptop OS is Vista Home Premium (32-bit).

Thanks for any guidance!

Short answer no.  Please see this link:

http://apcmag.com/oem__when_licensing_meets_quantum_theory.htm

January 28th, 2009 10:00

This is an update to my original query.  I was able to install Office XP on the new laptop!  Activation did require the installation key which I had.  I have not yet uninstalled it from my old computer, but the computer is no longer connected to the network or even to a printer, as I phase it out.  The post about OEM installed software not being transferrable did concern me, but since I have the CD and the key code, I think this must fall into a different category.  All is well! 

No Events found!